Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT50D Rear wheel dustcap

68FB ยท 2016-02-25 23:27

Hi, I'm new to forklifts and I'm doing some long overdue maintenance on a CAT V50D. One thing's got me puzzled. I want to repack the rear wheel bearings but the dust caps aren't easy to remove. They don't have a raised lip I can get a screwdriver behind. They look like the sketch below. I've tried hydraulic gear clamps and a slide hammer but no go. They're in there tight. Any suggestions on how to get them off? I am thinking of welding on a nut for a slide hammer but that seems a bit drastic. Malcolm

Replies3
  1. #1lantraxco2016-02-26 01:34

    Well, any chance they're threaded in? If not then the nut and slide hammer sound like the best way to go.

  2. #2Delmer2016-02-26 13:58

    Cold chisel sharpened with a shallow bevel on one side only, like a wood chisel. Use the top of the bevel for your fulcrum and lever it out a bit at a time after tapping it into the cap to get some bite. Unless it's threaded

  3. #368FB2016-02-26 17:58

    Thanks, guys. I got both off today with 18" channellocks. Malcolm