Hi We are looking at getting a newer track loader .There is a 1994 939 which shouldf be powershift not hydrastatic drive .Its got 11000 hours on it And was just wondering if any of you guys have run one and what the bad popints are . It will be used to level house sites out with sometimes around 3 foot of cut . It has 4 in 1 bucket and high lift rippers. First photo is the fiat allis FL5 we are currently using .Next two are the machine we are thinking of buying . What do you think ? Ian .
nice little machines, fast and nimble. they dont "float" worth a damned tho. I have one operator that can work the hell outta any track loader and can keep up with a 953 pushing brush/trees with a 939C. Basically, for what you want it for it will be perfect. but dont expect to go "mucking" out alot of ponds tho lol buy a hydro IMO it's the only way to go. dont waste time or money on a PS, Pj
Hi Powerjoke, Thanks for your reply . Trouble is once you get up to the hydro ones here in australia ,their out of our price range. Even with the US $ exchange rate we are paying 2 to 3 times as much as what i see machines advertised over in the US .This one is a 94 model with 11000 Hrs and is $55000.They have a 2004 939C with 6500 Hrs on it for $121000. Ian .
939 thread I mentioned this to ian while chatting somewhere else. Does anybody else remember a thread on here about a year ago reference a Cat 939 that had possible bent loader arms. The owner was using it to dig direct from a face, load the spoil on a truck, run it to the fill area and tip it. The discussion also covered the options on shutting the machine down each time it was left or letting it idle. I have done several different searches but cannot locate the thread. Any ideas guys please.
Hi Rob , I went manually searching and found the one about the loader arms 6 pages back and no mention of 939 in the title .most thought it was operator error or too high a releif valve setting . It broke an arm ,and theres where the thread stops ..It would be so nice to see threads end with the solution to the problem .. But in scanning through the 6 pages i saw no other mention of 930s and lots of problems for other cat models. So either 939s don't have a lot of problems ,or they are not popular and not a lot of them sold . Ian .Ps had a look at the profile and the guy has not been back online since last christmas ,So probably no chance of an update on his problems .
i ran one once in a while and i hated it. terrible bucket visibility.
They're pretty popular here though most are hystat models. Several contractors use them for levelling around new houses and they really prove they're worth in the winter when they need to break into a frozen pile of fill. Although there have been many times in the past when a Cat operator would come ask one of us digging basements to come help them get a hole started in the pile.
This thread and this one ? BTW, good to see you back Rob!:drinkup
WOW! I had no ideal. I gave $80k for a brand new one back in '05 if i remember right Pj
Hi PJ, Yes i don't know who is getting the mark up compared to what you guys pay ,The government probably . But there is a big difference in what we pay here .I am not even game to enquire what a new one is worth . To every one else that replyed Thank you very much So far apart from personal likes and dislikes no one has said that the model was a lemon ..We don't do a lot of work with the track loader so at the prices we have to pay for one just can't warrant the price tag for a hydrastatic one . Ian .
we have a jd 555g which is close to the same size. I don 't know about the cats but I know this size machine is great for grading around houses and even digging a foundation. easy on fuel and parts. hydros eat fuel. and at 2.50 a gallon every gallon saved is money in your pocket.
$2.50 a gallon , Don't complain . We are paying $1.30 a litre ,which converts to about $4.69 a US gallon . We get told that we pay the world price for oil ,But appartenty the USA isn't a part of the world . But our english friends are paying a lot more for their diesel .. Ian .
Other then the bent arms and that you need to keep them on solid ground I think there nice little loaders. I was never around one long enough to see any problematic things on them.
yes 1.20 Pounds (haven't got a pounds sign on the computer, but thats the ones with big Liz on) for a litre of white diesel, 1.18 /litre for petrol (or gas I think you yanks call it) and red for off-road is about 50p a litre.....prices go up faster than they come down; in fact they rarely come down.....there's a few of the big supermarkets selling the stuff for 5p a litre less but you gotta drive 25 miles to get it
Hi Richard , That is a big difference in prices between the off road and the on road diesel . Little wonder some do run it in their onroad vehicles .. I take it the Fines are big if caught . Ian .
Hi Richard , That is a big difference in prices between the off road and the on road diesel . Little wonder some do run it in their onroad vehicles .. I take it the Fines are big if caught . Ian .
Hello Ian, there was a 939 working about a mile from home a month ago, wish I'd gone up and took a photo of it......think I heard right when they said it had a 6 cyl Mitsubishi engine in it.....or maybe it was someone pulling my wire. Yes, big difference. There's some folks around that run the gauntlet with red in their cars/trucks etc. which is all well & good till the "Five-0" pull you, or in some cases the Vehicle Inspectorate boys show up......crime against the state, cheating the chancellor out of his big fat revenue, worse than gun running, pedos and traficking 'aspirins'.....they'll confiscate the vehicle, nice little fine and maybe a trip down the road and in "the shovel" for 6 months if you have been running your fleet on it
Hi Richard ,Thanks for the reply . Shows you how much cmn moderators know about plant in england ,as they posted they were not aware of any 939s in the UK ,so how could they know anything about them ..My son asked the same question as i did here After a week of no replys he posted, going on feedback from other forums we had decided to buy it .. Thanks all who have given their views on this machine . Ian .
I think the 939's have a 3046 6 cylinder engine and being made in Japan I would assume it would be a Mitsu variant.
Ideal!....look forward to seeing it rip the earth up
Its been picked up and will get up here sunday lunch time . Thanks all for your advise ,would have liked to be able to afford the later model one, But the budget could not be streched that far ,with the prices we pay for them over here . . Ian .
Ian, you know the rules, need some pics.
Hey CM , Its gotta get here first :tong How about this for starters Our Fiat Allis FL5 That the cat will be replacing . Ian . Hummm put up 3 photos only one comes out ????
Thanks for those links CM, I knew one of you guys would come good :thumbsup Back, never been away very busy which means away all week and work alternate weekends so little time for the puter. Must admit to viewing nearer home as the laptop is on usb stick and its too slow to load HEF, but I do pop in from time to time. I find it quite incredible just how many do. AND get away with it :notworthy. If I showed my van a litre of red I know I would get stopped within a week
Yeah I've been tempted too and I would get checked within the first mile...
well here it is
it looks awesome, i havent seen automatics on a loader before tho Pj
That is a very tidy machine... Congrats!
Thanks Guys ,Considering its 16 years old and got over 11000 hours on it It isn't too bad.Just need to reseal the bucket tilt rams . The laser system has no instruction books with it ,so not sure if our lasers are good enough to work it,or if indeed the system works properly at all . Q ball was right when he said there a bugger of a machine to see the bucket out of .Ian .
The 939 will bounce you all over the place. Bad design.
Nice looking machine I like the limb risers! I think it is a great design for what it is intended for! http://www.youtube.com/user/LetsTalkDirt
Have used a 931, then 931C series II, then 933 (which followed the 931C) - all great machines - versatile - good to dig with and also to push. I think a lot of the chatter about comfort on these forums is a bit over the top - gee whiz - we're talking earthmoving machines, not limos! Still, I suppose if "comfort" is that important to some, it may colour choice of machinery - personnaly I'd focus on functionality and capability over comfort. Reckon you'll be happy with what the 939 can do - hope it's been well looked after through it's 11,000 hours. Good luck
Visibility is poor compared to a rear engined Cat but no worse than any other front engined machine and better than most of the old machines. Try an old IH 175 if you want poor visibility.