Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT950GC

rbyuctg ยท 2025-03-31 14:45

Hello colleagues! Today I broke a plastic glass of the fuel filter. The cheapest one in my city costs $37, the most expensive one is $290. The mechanic ordered two for $50. At that time, having decided that the plastic cup is not worth the money, we bought a fuel filter from a common and produced in our country KAMAZ truck, I made 2 hoses and installed them. It turned out to be quite a working design.

Replies16
  1. #1Simon C2025-03-31 18:31

    Looks good as long as it is the correct micron filter rating. Looks heavy duty. Simon C

  2. #2rbyuctg2025-04-01 11:58

    This is the kind of glass our turner Uncle Vanya made of metal.

  3. #3Nige2025-04-01 12:00

    For that engine the secondary fuel filter rating should be 2 microns. From having been around them a bit I would doubt that a Kamaz engine would have such a strict requirement on fuel cleanliness.

  4. #4rbyuctg2025-04-02 00:43

    Most likely not, I'm not sure that such requirements apply to our machines. We'll test it, so we'll slowly assemble the KAMAZ loader.

  5. #5Nige2025-04-02 09:22

    I can assure you that the expensive parts of the fuel system on your 950GC require a 2-micron fuel filtration capability. I think you should investigate further.

  6. #6rbyuctg2025-04-02 14:39

    Hello. This is done exactly, the requirements for fuel purity for KAMAZ engines are significantly lower than those specified by you. Now the fuel is not so dirty, let's check the capabilities of the Cat 7.1C engine.

  7. #7rbyuctg2025-04-02 14:42

    What, in your opinion, are the parts of the fuel system most vulnerable in this case?

  8. #8Nige2025-04-02 14:54

    There are three of them: - 1. High-pressure fuel pump. 2. Fuel rail (including the pressure relief valve which is not available as a separate part). 3. Fuel injectors. If I recall correctly you have already had to replace a set of injectors on the engine of this loader, probably as a result of contaminated fuel passing through the filters. Out of interest what are the requirements of a Kamaz engine regarding fuel cleanliness.? Does Kamaz specify a Cleanliness Code for fuel measured using the ISO 4406 standard.? I must admit the Kamaz engines I came across were rather, shall we say, "agricultural" in their design.

  9. #9rbyuctg2025-04-03 02:39

    I think that this standard is known only at the factory, and probably there are not many such knowledgeable people there. Those who operate cars adhere to the fuel standard at which the car starts and drives. We changed the factory Cat fuel filters after 6500 hours of operation. This machine works at the limit of its capabilities, passes a good test, and copes well with it.

  10. #10Simon C2025-04-03 09:56

    Cut open a set of Cat Filters versus some other brand and a person will often see which is better. What you installed might be fine, might cost a lot of repairs in the future. Only time will tell, Have seen many a will fit parts in my day, but they didn't all run long. Simon C

  11. #11Nige2025-04-03 10:22

    Do you mean changed the filter elements or when you replaced the original Cat filter assembly with the Kamaz one.? That does not make sense if the manufacturer wants customers to follow their recommendations. Caterpillar publishes their required fuel standards and cleanliness guidelines (see the attachment) and so do other major equipment manufacturers as far as I know.

  12. #12rbyuctg2025-04-03 11:24

    We replaced the factory filter elements with 6500 along with the nozzles, you mentioned it. It's 8000 now and we installed KamAZ filters. Of course, there may be problems in the future, we will observe. Our loaders, as I have already said, operate in very difficult operating modes for them. Their service life is 3-4 years. Cat 3 years old. We have a Komatsu wa430 loader, it is 4 years old, a year ago it repaired the engine and installed a piston group from the KAMAZ engine.

  13. #13Nige2025-04-03 11:28

    You do realise that the recommended replacement interval for the fuel filter elements is every 500 operating hours.?

  14. #14rbyuctg2025-04-03 11:31

    As I said, we are experiencing a serious shortage of spare parts for such machines, so we do what we can. Only such equipment can fulfill the tasks of our production. We will buy a new tractor in the fall, we are looking for it now. The best front loader, in our opinion, is John Deere 924k, we have two of them, they are 10 years old, one of them is still in service, of course we do not fully work on it, it is as a spare. It's a great car.

  15. #15rbyuctg2025-04-03 11:35

    Oh, Nigel, we understand this perfectly, but we have bosses, they are managers, not workers, and we have little idea of the rules of work on such machines, but the finances are in their hands.

  16. #16Nige2025-04-03 11:39

    You have my sympathy. I have been in your situation before and it is not a good place to be.