Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

catapillar cap and plug for hydro, what kind

subdural · 2024-11-05 06:27

anyone know what kind of fitting the cat usually use for hydro? when i have to plug or cap something, i want to have a set i can grab and get a fitting. I thought it was easy but there are a lot of choices. I just wanna get a set so i can have different sizes ready to go for the next thing i break/repair.

Replies8
  1. #1heymccall2024-11-05 07:33

    Cat uses ORFS as a rule, but, there are exceptions. I grabbed a screenshot of an affordable set.

  2. #2TCat2024-11-05 08:32

    I’m interested in getting one of these kits as well, but I have an additional question. Not knowing the size references for the common sizes, these kits seem to have many multiples of the smaller sizes with only one or maybe two of the larger sizes like #16. I found a kit on Amazon that actually goes up to #24 in ORFS, but don’t know how common that size is on something like a 426B backhoe or a D4H dozer. Does the average guy need bigger than #16, or is it worthwhile to go ahead a get the wider variety kit or maybe two of them?

  3. #3subdural2024-11-05 08:57

    ty, ive seen the JIC type too and was not sure. but awesome!

  4. #4HarleyHappy2024-11-05 10:27

    You shouldn’t need higher than a #16 ORFS unless you’re replacing the main pressure line on a Cat 325. Most sizes for a 426 and a D4 will be #6 to #12.

  5. #5TCat2024-11-05 10:42

    Awesome thank you.

  6. #6heymccall2024-11-05 18:19

    While you're shopping, get a set of these. Push in and turn slightly. They won't hold pressure, but they'll definitely stop dripping. And you don't need to know the hose size. Just eyeball it. That's in addition to the steel plugs listed above, which will hold full machine pressure. Every tech should have a set of these stoppers.

  7. #7subdural2024-11-06 05:33

    i grabbed them also. very cool idea. nice and fast on any leak

  8. #8Welder Dave2024-11-06 15:06

    I got a bunch of caplugs from a hyd. shop. They work good where you can't use a tapered plug. Worked great on the articulation valve on the grader where the spool was still in the valve. Would have needed a fairly large steel plug and I didn't know the size. Caplug has a slight taper and pushed in easily. Caplug also has thread in style plugs but they cost more. The selection I got was free which was 50 or so caps. I was quite impressed they gave me so many.