My mid 80s d6d is loosing transmission fluid, where should I start looking? I am new to the dozer operating and would appreciate any advice. Thanks for reading Ken
It seems like I read somewhere that a guy had a D7 and the tranny fluid was leaking into a final. There was a failed seal somewhere that allowed that to happen.
Ken here too, Is the oil coming out or is it going someplace else? We had a D6D that was gaining lots of oil in the engine and found out that it was loosing transmission oil at the same time. In that case there were only two places we could see it happening. First the rear seal on crankshaft leaking oil from the torque converter, not a easy fix. The other was the oil seal on the transmission pump that is mounted to the back of the engine on the left side. We decided to remove that to inspect and did find general wear in the pump and seal so it was replaced with a reman pump and I believe that fixed the problem. Not 100% sure as I retired about a month after that repair so it did not get run a lot but there was no obvious problems while I was still there.
is the motor filling with oil? is one or both finals filling with oil? if no to both of these, after you run it enough to warm it up some, pull top shields off operator station and with a flashlight (torch) look for wet areas. I would be very surprised if you don't see several. you may have to drop belly pan as well. sometimes the large flex hose at the bottom of oil drain at bottom front of transmission can leak. often when the transmission runs too warm the seals all around the back side of the torque can pee as well. takes a while to chase all these down. might even have front input seal leaking on transmission. the rear output seal on torque, which you can replace without much effort at all might also be a an area to look at.
Thanks for the input. The good news is that the trans fluid is not going into the motor. I will check into the suggestions and let you know.
great tractor, really enjoy mine, but it has been kind of a struggle to chase all the problems stemming from apparently a long period of neglect. I am in sw iowa.