Hello all...... I have a Caterpilar 211 LC Excavator. Just recently I started having issues with it steering either way. It tracks forward and backwards in high and low with no issues. My dad and I took out the control valve under the cab that connects to the pedals and steering stick. It didn't appear to be leaking when we took it out but, we went ahead and replaced all the o-rings in it and mad sure it was clear of any obstructions. Put the valve back in yesterday and same issue (no steering). Where should I go from here? Thanks in advance for any help with this!!
Does it steer better when it's stone cold and get worse as it warms up, or at least is that what happened when the problem first appeared..? If the answer is yes then reseal the swivel as a first step.
According to my dad the problem just came on one day and by the next day it wouldn't steer at all left or right at any temp. Going to check the swivel tomorrow when i get back to the ponds and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the fast reply!
Looks like we found our problem. We have had this machine for 12 years and still are rookies at troubleshooting. Was going to check the swivel but decided to pick up one track at a time using the boom while tracking and discovered the drive motor was out on the right side. Prob shoulda tried this first. Boy I feel like a dumba$$!! Anyway we took it down and found that the ouput shaft on the motor was stripped out as well as the spline it slips into. Being that we are a family owned and operated business (crawfish farms) we are on a budget. I'm sure we will have to replace the shaft that the motor connects to. What do you guys reccomend as far as repairing the drive motor. Buy the parts and rebuild our self or find a remanufactured one ready to go?? Thanks!!