Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 160H 1995 transmission problem

hrvopetrovic ยท 2023-02-09 03:45

I still got issues with my motor grader,he is too fast in 1st gear,and we cannot realize what is the problem.We check pressure,voltage everything and it looks fine but grader is still too fast and cant work with him.Anyone here who know what is the problem and what to inspect next?

Replies11
  1. #1Welder Dave2023-02-09 17:39

    Sounds like it isn't going into 1st gear. One of the Cat experts should be along shortly with some idea's on what could be causing it.

  2. #2Nige2023-02-09 18:25

    First post a Serial Number. It makes it easier to find information. When you engage first speed forward there should be pressure at only three of the eight test points on the transmission control valve. All the others should have zero pressure. Which three on the illustration below have pressure.?

  3. #3hrvopetrovic2023-02-11 05:00

    Now I'm not close to Grader,I left him in repair shop,grader expert here in Bosnia came and check what he can,but he can't find out what is it...I'll post serial number when I would be able to do it.Thanks on your responses,appreciate it.

  4. #4hrvopetrovic2023-02-11 05:03

    @Nige so there have to be pressure in just 3 valves,all other must have zero pressure?

  5. #5Nige2023-02-11 08:22

    Correct. To select each gear in the transmission it requires 3 clutches to be engaged. A suggestion. Before you starting to test remove the short driveshaft that is between the transmission and the differential. By doing that the grader will not move while you are testing the transmission.

  6. #6hrvopetrovic2023-02-23 07:42

    Still nothing...We send transmission board to Caterpillar service and we will wait till they inspect that ..Appreciate for your help.

  7. #7Nige2023-02-23 10:20

    I doubt that they will be able to do much in the way on "inspection" or testing with the ECM off the machine.

  8. #8hrvopetrovic2023-03-30 14:39

    We solve the problem....Two solenoids were broken in transmission box,voltage on that solenoids were correct 32volts but they were broken,so if someone have same situation this might help.Thanks all who try to help,appreciate your help.

  9. #9Cybenilly2023-04-20 21:08

    Mine is 140h not moving when gears are selected what could be the cause.

  10. #10Cybenilly2023-04-20 21:15

    On check voltage not sent to the solenoid when gears are engaged. But on neutral position only one of the solenoid receives voltage. When tyres are suspended gear 1to 4 slowly moves . Plz what should I do. thanks

  11. #11Nige2023-04-20 21:45

    If you want an electrical schematic to assist you in checking the electrical side then please post a Serial Number.