I have read on another site, that a 18M Grader will coming out soon: http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=137457
I wonder if that 18m is a new machine or if they are doing some renumbering to reflect the higher weights. Like was done in the 80's with the 8L, 9L, 10 to become 9N, 10N, 11N. And the 4H and 5H being transitioned to 5M, 6M.
I've been trying to find info on the 18m for a while and nothing. I'm very curious. I know in a couple years we are getting new blades and they don't really wanna go to 24's so the 18's might be what we get to replace the 16's.
Yes, it is a new machine and the 16M and 24M are still being built. It is as Desertwheeler says a machine being built to fill in the gap between the 16M to 24M
There are a lot of operations like the one I was at most recently where a 16 wasn't big enough but a 24 would have been overkill. I imagine there are hundreds more the same. That's the market Cat appear to be aiming for with the 18.
I don't think that they want replace the 16M, because they have bring out a new version this year from the 16M, the 16M3 is the new version. I think they offer a new grader type between 16M and 24M. I think the blade standard size for 18M will be 5,49 m, because the type numbers is the size blade length in ft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpbO8YoPWa4 I know that guy in the green vest, I've worked with him for 42 years!
So is that a 16M in the video? Or a field follow 18M with 16M camoflage?
Only reason I asked is the 14 wasn't mentioned. I thought maybe they added weight and HP to the 14 chassis and renumber it a 16m3 and same for the 16.
From what I can see it's a completely new model with an 18ft moldboard (hence the model number) to slot in between the existing 16 & 24 models to reflect that fact that the gap between them is too big.
There is both in the video and they switch back and forth between the 2. But they never do a close up of the 18M to see the numbers. The grader with the catwalks and guard rails surrounding the cab so you have to climb up over the tandems to get into the cab in the video is the 18M There is no 16M camouflage cause when you see it from the side it is very different from what the 16M looks like. It looks like a mini 24M
I have find a brochure where is the 18M grader: http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/content/Caterpillar/C10568707
Well that's a bit of a letdown. It looks like the 18M is just a 16M with an 18' blade and the engine tweaked by 15hp.
That was the impression I got too.
From practical experience the 16M is not short of HP if that makes any difference ...... maybe that's all they thought it needed..? I also note it's been configured for mining applications with all the access platforms, tie-downs, and handrails. And finally they've got rid of those poxy steps.
yes I think that too, that this is a 16M with a 18M blade, the difference is not much, the weight from the 16M3 is 32,4 t and 18M3 is 33,7 t. The difference from the 14M and 16M is lots of more.
If cat have used the the same chassis as the 16m wouldn't it just make the new 18m more likely to be damaged by operators rotating the Blade under the cab where they can't see or hitting a steer tyre I know you can get the blade extensions but when there fitted the operator is more aware due to the large bolt end on one side Then for transport will the blade tuck in against the unit enough to fit on a low loader or is it going to be like the 24m's where it's blade may be assembled on side and transport the blade on a flat bed ( doubt it but it's still a thort) Idk just food for thort
In Germany I have read from two HBM BG 190 Grader which can use a long blade like the bigger BG 240 too.
The wheelbase is 15 inches longer so there is adequate room for positioning the longer moldboard. The machine ships with the moldboard on, no pilot cars were required.
I still can't help but wonder why an 18M, and not a 20M?
If the wheelbase is 15" longer then there are a few changes then. I was thinking that this was an upsize like going from the 140 to 160.
Both front and rear chassis of the 18M are different Part Numbers to the 16M.
That’s an excellent question. It’s all driven by marketing. When the mining industry rebounds and the sales of a specific size truck pick back up, then it would certainly be worth studying the sales potential of 20' machine. It would require a totally unique platform, not many shared components. None of that’s going to happen anytime soon with this administration’s war on the coal industry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RevRZaZQpk Mines that historically have replaced theirs fleets every set amount of years aren’t even buying parts to rebuild what they have now and that’s because they don’t even know if they’ll be in business next year. To think that the AFL CIO and the Coal Unions voted for this! Talk about cutting your own throat. What I really want to see is 36' size machine targeted at the 400 ton size truck fleets. Randy
After what was said here I'm not sure if this one is a 16M3 or 18M3, but sure it looks superb : (rencetly found on facebook) Click on the link for full res http://www.hostingpics.net/viewer.php?id=284006118789538683225965554723418065438044519531o.jpg Florian
Hard to tell but judging by the access platforms and how the whole machine has been "mining-ized" I'd stick my neck out and say that's an 18M.
My vote is for a 16, due to what looks like a two piece cutting edge.
Well bugger be dead. All I can say is that when they start putting rails ( and all the rest of the crap ) on Graders ( and all machinery ) is maybe you are in the wrong job. Besides "No Power No F'N PUSH" Take a 14 G compared to a 14 H series II ( Let alone a 16 H series II ) Railings on Graders ? Oh and the pink dipsticks ? Sort of sums it all up in the Earthmoving Business now days now don't it. *** happened ( Not to mention vacuum cleaned out cabs ( no smoking )) Jesus Christ wasn't that long ago it was what cab ? Give Me A Break. I suppose you want a heater and air conditioning with that to do you ? Stereo ? I phone ? ( Butt Plug ) ? F@%K me Bring out the Rainbow Flags. ?
Now are more informations on the Caterpillar homepage with all the dates: http://www.cat.com/en_ID/products/new/equipment/motor-graders/m-series-motor-graders/1000007681.html
Nice! I don't know if I would like looking through the catwalks all the time though.
Thing is in a mining grader you tend to be looking forward rather than back most of the time. The plus is that there are no access steps at the front of the cab to keep banging with the moldboard.
I still watch my blade a lot on ours. I guess I don't have to but I like to see what's going on. Our 16's don't care much for blading the roads with 240's running on them.
CATERPILLAR 18M very beautiful grader.
Here is a video from a 18M Grader from the Minexpo: https://youtu.be/2AEGVrxYifo
I missed this the first time, but never let a chance go by to stick it to the Aussies. *** are you whinging for..? It was YOU FCUKERS who started all this **** .... everything without exception that corresponds to the sh1tty end of the stick mining-wise originally came from Oz, so try looking in the mirror once in a while when you're asking those questions. What you fcukers started everyone else in the world now has to put up with. Happy now...??
Slavery ended years ago. You get more work out of a man riding in comfort, than sweating to the oldies. I've ran the knuckle buster cats, and a plywood cab or two, and even though I still have reservations about machines with joy sticks and grade control systems. Truth is if we don't get on board, we are gonna be left behind.
I have no objections to the creature comforts, electronic systems, and all the other bits & pieces designed to make the operator's life more comfortable and thus get more work out of him. It's all the "hangers on" on the outside I was taking issue with, and as I said before every bit of that without exception originally came from Crimland.....
Just grab the cat o nine tails and give us a darn good flogging. I agree with you on the safety overkill bs though, we deserve everything we get.
Quite right Sir Nige. OHS, cultural heritage and enviro crap is up to wards half the cost of some projects. And..... people are still getting badly hurt. somethng is seriously wrong. Operators with no care or respect or common sense. Glad I'm out of it now.
Sorry, I was also replying to catgrader's post. I take the fact that I like to work in comfort makes me any less of an operator as a bit much.
THANK YOU!!! After having ran a couple machines where the interior is full of plastic and OK fabric, I'd rather just have painted metal that just wipes down, doesn't rattle or hold dust. You can do your best to try and not drag and dirt in, but sometimes it ain't happening. Anymore, I ask for just the functional stuff. And the stereo. I appreciate they aren't like an old farm tractor, but after having had back-up cameras and everything else, I think sometimes they overthink things.
I have to agree. I miss the metal non rattling cab parts. One of our 10t's has 45k hours and the plastic don't last in the cab and it's really hard to get dirt out of the textured plastic. The 10r is easier to clean. Don't get me wrong the new cabs are nice but just don't last. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good hard hit to a manhole or a hidden object in a snowbank takes the dust out
I would just like to add that the posting/comments being referred to here are exactly my reasons for not posting on this forum much anymore. When I first read the comments nearly 2 years ago I had the same thought since the platforms were originally referred to as the “Australian Package” and yet here we had an Australian forum member bashing them and telling us how foolish the platforms were. It was Australia’s and Europe’s regulations that drove the design of these platforms! Caterpillar and the other manufactures are designing and building to meet the Government Regulations. Just to change the angle of the grating on the platform so the operator could see through it better had to be approved by the stinking government. Whether it’s good or bad much of the content you see on today’s machines is driven solely by Government Regulations. IMO the “Tier IV Final” regulations are creating more environmental issues than they’ve solved, but all the manufactures were forced to comply with Tier I, II, III,IV & IV Final if they wanted to sell their products in those markets. Those of us that bought stock early on in the DEF companies are smiling, but if polluting billions of gallons of water each day by mixing it with ammonia is the answer to our environmental issues than I missed something along the way. Isn’t that a violation of the “Clean Water Act”? Remember when the U.S. Government forced McDonalds to quit using Styrofoam containers because too many were ending up in landfills. How many plastic DEF containers are ending up in landfills now even though they are recyclable? How many Tier IV Final mufflers will end up in landfills even though they are supposed to be rebuildable (cleaned)? Anytime you grade a gravel road with a motor grader you are causing siltation since you are disturbing the ground. When it rains if any of that siltation gets in the ditches and those ditches lead to what the U.S. defines as a “Navigable Water Way” than you are in violation of the “Clean Water Act. 15 years in prison and $15,000.00 fines! There are valleys at the Proving Ground that are classified by the U.S. Government as navigable water ways even though there isn’t one ounce of water in them at this time. Best Regards, Randy Krieg
Very True!!! I noticed you weren't on here much- sad to hear that is why. Some of these interconnected systems and new emissions standards drive me batty, but I realize that's mandated, and something you guy probably hate even more. Thanks for your help.
Electronic BS is mandated by the so called enviros. Most safety features started and become mandated because some incompetent or half asleep operator got hurt and blamed everybody else for his mistake and sued for a few million. Easier for the manufacturers to add the stuff and pass on the increase of the price than it is to resist. All manufacturers have to do it so the competitiveness remains the same.
Saw this pair of 16s today, complete with added extras.
They are soo much better without the wheel guards. Still a horrendous bucket of shyte
I'd much rather have a walk-up fender than that set of folding stairs in the windshield.