Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 215 excavator opinions?

bronco71 ยท 2017-04-05 10:21

Good, bad and ugly thoughts? Looking at buying one running and driving good, biggest problem is leaking hydraulic hoses Main use would be on farm digging ponds and pulling stumps.

Replies8
  1. #1Tyson Oseth2017-04-05 21:23

    Just have to worry about contamination in and around your farm and ponds. If your making ponds for watering plants or drinking water for live stock could be bad. Even stocking ponds with fish could be bad. If the leaks are on and around the body tarp the under side of the machine to catch the majority of oil leaking.

  2. #2bronco712017-04-05 21:52

    Thanks! I hadn't thought of that, I plan on replacing the leaking hoses right away, I have a hose crimper and can make them way cheaper than buying them.

  3. #3Wilson8922017-04-06 06:35

    Not sure but my excavator hoses are all 4000 psi hose plus. Don't make up cheaper hose. John

  4. #4cuttin edge2017-04-06 07:45

    We had 215,and 235s for years and they were good machines. As long as the under carriage is in reasonable shape.

  5. #5bronco712017-04-06 11:02

    Thanks, I have a commercial crimper, same one used by many hose shops and it uses the same hose that was the best when that machine was made. 4 wire hose is available now which takes a different crimper but that hose wasn't available when that machine was made. I run it on my dozers and front loaders with no problems and we also run it on our K loaders for loading cargo aircraft.

  6. #6Tyson Oseth2017-04-06 17:21

    4000 psi is bursting pressure most machines run any where between 500psi to 3000psi. You can adjust pressure at the pump if you want to make the press higher and you can get hose up to 6000psi and down to 200 psi. But like I said that is the bursting pressure marked on the hose.

  7. #7bronco712017-04-06 17:27

    Cool, I use 100R2AT, the 1/2" hose is rated at 3500 psi operating pressure and 14,000 psi burst pressure.

  8. #8td25c2017-04-06 21:52

    Only negative thing I've heard about a Cat 215 is the swing gearbox giving out & a little pricy to replace . Helped a customer replace his gear box and he was complaining about the cost . They were pretty quick on the swing cycle . Member Mitch504 has one , he might chime in or send him a PM with questions . Nice size machine for allot of tasks .