Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 236d…… Hydraulic help

paxfam1 ยท 2026-04-19 18:58

Question....... I have a caterpillar 236d and both the tilt cylinders and lift cylinders creep. Machine has 4500 hours on it. No external leaks. They will creep down and when loader is pushed down it will creep back up. Running makes no difference. What's the best way to troubleshoot this? Sn is abgz01035

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2026-04-19 19:29

    Do you have access to an infra red heat gun or infra red camera.?

  2. #2paxfam12026-04-19 21:03

    I have both

  3. #3Nige2026-04-19 22:47

    Excellent. I would suggest to use the infra red camera but have the heat gun close handy. With the hydraulic oil cold start the engine, raise the arms to the top and keep the control in the raise position with the engine idling. Use the camera to look at the top end of the lift cylinder barrels which is where the piston will be. Can you detect any temperature rise in that area above the general temperature of the rest of the cylinder.? If you can then the piston seals are leaking which will require a seal kit/rebuild to fix.