Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 289d Cold planner electric connection

nicoola018 · 2026-04-30 10:01

Hello everyone, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post, so feel free to let me know if I should open a new topic. I have a Caterpillar 289D, serial number TAW05718, and I recently purchased a Simex PL5020. On the Caterpillar, I have a 14 pin connector with active 9 wires. On the asphalt planer, there are 12 wires (11 white and 1 black). One of them is for the water pump (I could run that separately with its own switch if needed). My question is: how should I connect the planer to the machine? Is it possible to have all functions controlled through the joystick? Also, for my model, should I connect pin K to B or pin N to B in order to activate the high flow function? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2026-04-30 11:05

    First thing you will need is an electrical schematic for the machine. Check your message inbox. Connect Pin K to Pin B to activate the High Flow function.

  2. #2nicoola0182026-05-01 05:16

    thanks a lot for the Schema, I connected K and B and it turned on the signal on the high flow display. I found this video on youtube, Explanation starts at 3:00, a combination of buttons activates all the functions for the asphalt milling machine. Mine is a simex, not a caterpillar, so I'm wondering if it's possible to use the joystick to use all the functions, or would I have to insert additional switches? I have forwarded pictures of the solenoid.

  3. #3Simon C2026-05-01 22:54

    You have your finger on a white wire that is split open from what I can see and needs to be repaired. Clean up all the solenoid Nuts to the body of the solenoids is another suggestion. Your 3rd picture looks like a damaged white wire on the middle solenoid. Simon C

  4. #4nicoola0182026-05-02 10:29

    On simex 14 pin connector this is wiring diagram

  5. #5Nige2026-05-02 11:34

    TBH your best bet would be to contact Skid Steer Genius regarding the availability of an off-the-shelf jumper harness to hook your particular attachment to the 289D. https://www.skidsteersolutions.com/

  6. #6nicoola0182026-05-03 13:19

    I started the planer and let the drum spin, then I bridged pins B and K, but I don’t notice the high-flow function activating. The engine sound doesn’t change at all, and the drum speed stays exactly the same. I already checked the fuses and verified the wiring. What could be causing this issue?