Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 246B Front Hub Removal?

gokeeper ยท 2015-03-16 18:15

I have a bad bearing in the front right hub of a CAT 246B, I am trying to remove the hub and need a little direction, The machine was in a fertilizer operation so it took all day to break the bolts loose on the hub, Looks like there is no master link so how do I get the drive chain off to pull the hub? Also front hub drive chain is on the back of the drive motor sprocket, do I need to pull the front drive chain (rear Hub) Before? Thanks

Replies1
  1. #1Cmark2015-03-16 20:42

    You will need to lift the cab and remove panels to get access to the back of the chain case. You will find a cover and under the cover is the bolt which holds the drive sprocket onto the axle shaft. Remove the bolt and the sprocket and you can then unbolt the axle housing from the chain case.