I have a Cat 249d, 2016 and it will not start or even crank, just clicks once when the key is turned. So far I have checked all fuses and replaced the ground cables from the battery to frame. I have also turned the motor to verify it was not locked and checked that starter solenoid is getting power from battery. Hoping that someone might have additional trouble shooting recommendations. I feel like I have tried everything mentioned in previous posts with no luck.
Did you remove the starter motor from the machine and have it tested.?
Did you make sure the hydraulic lock out switch was working properly?
I have not taken the starter off to have it tested yet. It’s in a pretty tight spot. I thought I would try to troubleshoot other possibilities before I went that route. I am not sure about the hydraulic lock out switch, or where that is on my machine. I can move the handles and it will let me take the parking brake off but still doesn’t start. I have also checked all of the fuses and the starter relay. All of them were good.
The implement lock out switch Ref #9 is a magnetic proximity switch mounted on the door of the cab (if you have one) or there is a bypass harness installed at the same location for an opern cab machine. Below is an extract from the electrical schematic that will allow you to test it.
I have that bypassed behind the seat per the instructions in the operating manual.
In that case have you checked the bypass harness connections.? Apart from the implement lock switch it might also pay you to take a look at the operation of the arm bar switch. This is also an input into the ECM. The two switches used to be in series to prevent starting and/or implmement lockout but on newer models they are separate inputs to the ECM. Also please be aware of the fact that a safety system that could prevent someone from being crushed by the loader arm if a control was moved while they were entering/exiting the cab has now been bypassed.
A bypassed safety system if viewed as a willful violation of US law. Anyone getting hurt as a result of such action is open to criminal sanction and penalties. Going to jail is a real possibility.
I have checked the connections and all seem to be in place. The arm bar switch also appears to be functional. The light in the cab goes off when it’s placed down. On the door switch, it tells you in the manual how to change the connection in the event you want to use the machine without the windshield. It didn’t mention that taking the windshield off was a violation of US law. I guess that was an oversight on Caterpillar’s part. Can’t imagine they would give you the option to take the door off if it was illegal. For me to get crushed by the machine exiting it the arm bar safety, seat switch, and automatic parking brake would have to be malfunctioning. At this point nobody is going to get crushed by it because it will not start.
The mention of liability was in regards to the seat sensor, as you stated "bypassed behind the seat". On my Cat skidsteers, the door jumper is at the hinge side door post.
This is a late-model machine. The door switch jumper harness (CH-C18) goes into CONN 14 which is right behind the operator seat.
Is my 262D3 the same?
A quick look at a schematic covering the S/Nos listed below suggests that it is.
If y0ou have power to the solenoid the either you solenoid or your starter is most likely bad try jumping the bat terminal on the starter to the other big post on the solenoid this will spin the starter without engaging it in the flywheel
I'm somewhat of a newbe here and was ready the post looking for someone maybe having a similar problem that i am having on my machine. I have what seems to be the same issue as Jeremy and have spent a lot of time and parts (to no avail) chasing the reason for the problem but what I did find is it starts "everytime" when I jump it off the positive lead (jumper) at the rear of my unit. This issue is intermittent for me 50% it'll start and 50% I have to jump it, battery is good just needs that bit of current to wake it up it seems. Like I said I'm new to forums so hoping i'm not stepping on toes My machine is a 2008 Cat 277C JWF01610
sounds like maybe a bad battery cable if you got a battery load tester hook it up at the starter and see if you get a voltage drop
That seems to suggest the battery may not be as good as you imagine. Try measuring the voltage across the battery posts and report your findings.
How clean are the battery terminals? Are they tight or are the terminal ends compressed together and the battery bolt bottomed out. Is there verdigris on the terminals and cables? How about the end connect to the starter. Have you checked the ground cable ends as well?