I've locked up the right side drive motor on a 277C. From what I can tell I'm looking for an OEM part # of 258-2970 as I have a single speed machine. I'm having hell finding one that I can afford. I've found a salvage one on ebay and we've agreed to a price but then he went radio silent. This things been setting in the field for 6 months now but 6k plus for a new one just isn't in the cards right now. Through my endless hours of searching I see someone selling a seal kit for one and also listing several ASV machines that the kit fits as well. All the final drive rebuild sites believe it to be a "Cat protected" final drive with parts not available to rebuild it. I guess I'm hoping someone on here has maybe dealt with this and knows if a drive off another brand might fit? 277c 287c 297c all use the same. The non C models seem to be easy to find but this one not so much.
I dunno...all the internals are available. Every part on this list is in stock save for the "swash plate".
According to my book, yes, 1 speed and two speed are different in construction, but, at least for the 1 speed, they're unisex (same part number bothe sides).
Well I was feeling froggy and opened it up tonight. A gear in the planetary broke, looks like it didn't cause too much damage. I Need the 278-8724 part #, anyone know the "Best deal" on the net for parts? I also had to cut the snap ring! Looks like I can't get it without buying a new cover!
Don't know of any online site for those parts, did a quick search with no real results. When I checked through SIS my prices a a little different than what shows in the post by heymccall's list but not by much, could be cause I'm seeing the prices with corporate discount from the company I retired from and they were a major purchaser of Cat equipment. So unless you can shake the guy awake you were dealing with might have to just go with Cat. Not sure I would be chancing used parts unless the price is a major difference and you really trust the guy won't go "radio dark" again if there is a problem!
I drilled down even deeper than SIS and you are correct, you can't get the snap ring/circlip for the cover without buying the 278-8723 cover kit. Even the access I have does not show me the individual parts of that kit to get a number for the snap ring. However I'm showing 278-8723 as $135 for the kit with no discount from a Cat dealer website. Combined with $722 for the 278-8724 that still puts you at $850 in parts for a $5350 motor when priced from the same resource. Maybe that might be the best deal you're going to get. If you want to try to shave the price some more try Offroad Equipment - www.offroadeq.com/ for pricing. They often have both OEM and non-OEM parts available. I've never dealt with them myself but a lot of HEF members swear by them. You could also try registering on avspare.com/ and price it on their website.