Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 953 straight repower from early 953c

Jdmechanic96 · 2019-02-06 10:36

Long story short, have a cat 953 straight in great working condition other than engine. 3204 is shot, pretty sure block is cracked somewhere. Well we also have an early 953c right next to it with blown pumps and a good 3116. I know the 953 b’s had the 3116. Just wondering if anyone has pulled off the swap into a 953 straight.

Replies4
  1. #1Dave Neubert2019-02-06 18:04

    I don't think the frame is long enough on a A I would suggest you look at a B and take some measurements

  2. #2Jdmechanic962019-02-08 10:06

    I'll definitely double check on that. Currently the biggest thing we are unsure of is if the pto drive off the front timing cover of the 3116 in the 953c. Not sure if it would have proper gear mesh to drive the 953a implement pump

  3. #3Nige2019-02-08 12:56

    I think you're going to have a lot bigger problems than the PTO drive. Below on the left you have the chassis from a 953, on the right a chassis from a 953C. Note the differences, especially in the engine mount locations respective to the pivot shaft.

  4. #4Dave Neubert2019-02-08 19:31

    A 953 C uses a completely different hydro system a B model would be the same type