Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 287c engine issue!! Need help

bowtiedmax ยท 2014-06-14 15:04

Machine has 2200 hrs. I started seeing oil in coolant a couple weeks ago. I finally had a chance to work on it. Cat service told me possibly engine oil cooler. I took it out and all looked fine. Put it back together and started really looking over. At lower rpm are is plowing out the air cleaner. More than normal blow by out the crankcase breather hose. Bubbles in coolant What is anyone thoughts. I'm confused about the blow by and oil in coolant. If a head gasket I can see the bubbles and blow by, but what about the oil in coolant? Is it maybe just a gasket blown in a area that caught a oil passage , coolant passage and cylinder? Any help would be great. Paul

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2014-06-14 15:15

    Can you pressure test the cooling system..? That's probably going to be the best indicator. Agree with you the likelihood of a head gasket, but when you pulled the cooler did you actually pressure test it..?

  2. #2bowtiedmax2014-06-14 15:58

    Ya I put 60psi of air in it and held it under water. But even so, that would explain the oil in coolant but the blow by and bubbles in coolant. It will actually blow the dirt out of the air filter and out the water drain in the bottom of the air filter housing as it running. My first thought is head gasket but I just know any symptoms of more serious issues. Like cracked block? Or head? Thanks

  3. #3bowtiedmax2014-06-14 16:04

    I'm trying to find someone that has a tool to pressure test system

  4. #4Daviscorey2014-07-02 20:12

    The c3.4 have known head gasket issue if it bubbles out of coolant it's the head gasket. If the gasket can leak combustion air into coolant passages than oil passages can also leak into coolant. 9 out ten head gasket failures need a new head because the fire ring wear grooves into the head

  5. #5SKJ Mulching2014-08-13 23:20

    I have a CAT287C with a C4.4 in it, no air bubbles but had excessive blow by out the breather.... On hot days adding 3-4 qts every hour.... Pulled engine at the machine shop getting bored .050 over...