Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 304C CR Throttle

Danny L. Thomas ยท 2020-01-15 09:18

S/N FPK03735 I recently discovered that the throttle dial on my mini has a little travel past the highest dial setting mark. In the past, I had just set the throttle to the graduated marks. The other day, I just reached down and spun it up without looking to see where it was set assuming it only went to the end of the graduation marks. I was surprised at the amount of extra power and hydraulic capacity I had after doing this. I don't have a tach so I have no idea if the engine was over revving or not. I know it has a governor but since it went past the setting marks on the dial I thought I would ask anyone with experience with this mini if there is a problem with setting the throttle above the graduation marks on the dial or does full throttle MEAN full throttle?

Replies1
  1. #1jbernielh2020-01-17 00:00

    I never look at the marks for the Dial.. just reach down and rotate it until it hits the full throttle stop.. have run it there for over 2K hours and it's running fine.. when it's cold outside I set the dial to the mid position for starting and then as soon as it's fired up put it down to the idle stop.. after that it's hard over clockwise to the full throttle stop in the dial.. Bernie