Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 312bl or 315bl

PNECAT · 2013-01-13 19:15

PRO & CONS LIKE & DISLIKE I will be halling the machine with a kenworth and a 35Ton lowboy so weight isnt a pronlem. Im just looking for some insite on which machine is liked better by those who have ran the machine and who ever wants to chip in there 2c. Im a cat guy only so you can compare them to other machines if liked but, im only interested in these 2 size machines because of the price range and the 90-100hp range im looking for. A 320 is bigger than i need for anyhting i will be doing around my area. Im leaning towards the 315BL because its Hp over the 312BL and its a little bigger size machine. Thanks:drinkup

Replies17
  1. #1CM19952013-01-13 19:33

    I have rented a 312BL in the past and owned two 315CL's as well. My advice would be to go with the 315 since transport weight is not an issue. A 315 is a baby "320" that can be pulled on a tag trailer in most States which makes it a popular machine. With that being said I might also look at 320's as well, since you have the truck and trailer to move it.

  2. #2PNECAT2013-01-13 19:45

    CM1995- A 320 is a much bigger machine and for the area i am living and working in, i figured a nice size machine in the 100hp range will be small enough for tighter jobs and big enough for stumps and basements etc...

  3. #3CRAFT2013-01-14 01:41

    I really like my 312 ….. but if I was to replace it After owning a 320clRR, and I will agree with u on the fact that the 312/315 size might be more appropriate for the tighter situations …. If I was u I would seriously look at the 314clRR possibly even as a blade runner version ….. that's what i'm looking at doing when the right deal comes along ….jmho …cheers

  4. #4UrParts2013-01-14 10:37

    If you want to think about reselling it down the line then the 312B will be much easier to move on than a 315B. This may be different in the US but in Europe the 315B is not very popular where as the 312B holds its value quite well. Simon

  5. #5CM19952013-01-14 13:02

    Regional difference do play a big role in equipment usage. In my area a 315 would sell faster and hold more of it's value due to the fact it's the largest machine you can move on a tag trailer behind a dump truck without overweight or over width permits.

  6. #6roddyo2013-01-14 13:15

    I love 15 or 16 ton machines with 24 inch pads. I started out with a CX210 Case, replaced it with a CX160 and never regretted it. Since that time I have also owned a 315L and am running a 315CL now.

  7. #7denver m farms2013-01-14 16:02

    We have owned 2 312b's and they were great for there size, easy to move, and easy to sell. But if you could pick either one you wanted i would say the 315 just because it is a little bigger.

  8. #8heymccall2013-01-15 10:54

    I've been enamored with my 315CLCR and my latest acquisition, a 314DLCR. The blade and the compact swing radius are godsends when only one machine can be sent to do the job. I'm currently fitting GTW roadliners to 315DLCR. In that size, we had or have a Kobelco ED150, Komatsu PC-120LC5, Komatsu PC128UU-2, Cat 312L, and a Cat 312BL. Definitely look at a 315*LCR. The "only" drawback is the slightly smaller cab on the LCRs. (That and counterweight removal (4 BIG bolts and a crane) to replace the AC lines that rubbed through the compressor bracket).

  9. #9PNECAT2013-01-16 00:57

    Thanks for all the inputs guys. Something else i was thinking about looking into was a hydraulic thumb for the brush/logs/trees etc.. to help with loading and moving material on the jobs. Im really leaning towards the 315BL because of its size/100hp/price range and like u guys said the biggest size to be halled an a tag trailer if needed to. This will be my only excavator so i wanted to go with the bigger machine for some of the bigger jobs and yet not be to big for the smaller jobs to get around. as for resale on the 312 or 315 i see no problem with selling eather one if needed too later down the road. How many gallons of diesel will the 315 go threw on an 8hr day? Thanks

  10. #1006Pete2013-01-16 19:01

    My 315bl will run 2 days on a tank of about 70 gal but I normally run on 8 or 9 not wide open. It burns the same as my 320 but the 320 has a mitsubsi and the 315 has cat I think the mitsubsi starts and runs better with more hours. I don't know if the 315 was offered with the mitsubsi but if it was I would lean towards one but not rule out the cat engine as it is not bad just don't like it as well. I think a Hyd thumb is excelent I wish I wad one but have priced the aux plumbing several ways and it is not worth 12 to 15 thousand to add to mine but when I buy another one it definatly will have the plumbing.

  11. #11CM19952013-01-16 19:35

    The 2- 315CL's I owned both had Mitsu engines. Good on fuel. Like 06Pete said I could run 2-8 hour days on a tank of fuel. The machine didn't run wide open either, 7-9 depending on digging conditions. I rarely found it necessary to run at WOT.

  12. #12roddyo2013-01-16 23:49

    I do most of my work on 4.... 5 or 6 if it is tougher 7 or 8.....it really comes alive GPH.....

  13. #13PNECAT2013-01-17 19:50

    Ok so around 35GAL $150 a day to run the machine and really moving some product isnt bad, what is a good running price for this size manchine as it will all depend on the states/location etc... 06pete, This is why i was asking to get a thumb allready on the machine because of the added price later on down the road and the hassel to get one put on. I think i will just buy a machine with the thumb equipped. I plan to keep this machine for a while so i want to make sure this is a good set up machine that i can use for some time.

  14. #14freedom digger2013-02-03 07:50

    In my opinion I don't think you will find any job other than a dead lift that you have to have a 315 for.I might be mistaken but I don't think you can get a blade on a 315and what you get for having a blade over a little lifting power is a no brainer. not only for bulldozing our clean up, but being able to level your self up while working on a slope is sweet.

  15. #15DoyleX2013-02-03 22:37

    I would check out the 314 or 321 if you are going to get into tighter areas. There is quite a bit of tail swing on my 315. I never thought zero tailswing on a big hoe would be so handy. Ran a rental for a week and it did things like a giant mini. I have run a brand new 314 and 316 and they are very hard on fuel if you are working them compared to my old mistued b model.

  16. #16PNECAT2014-04-05 11:20

    I will be going with a caterpillar 315c cl or a John deere 160c cl. That size machine will be the best fit for all of the jobs around my area. I haven't ran either machine before so that's my next step going forward with the purchase. Any other suggestions would also help. I have a Kenworth T800 and a 50 ton fruehaulf lowboy to haul the machine around. Thanks

  17. #17PNECAT2014-11-09 21:27

    The past year I've been looking at the prices fairly close on some 315CL with around 8'000 Hrs. I have also found some 320 size machines around the same price give or take some Hrs and U/C%. The 320 is a little bigger machine than I believe I need. Then I bumped into a couple 320C LU with the shorter tail swing which maybe enough to get into some of the smaller jobs that I will need to do. I have a semi and lowboy to move the machine so that isn't a problem with making this decision only being to heavy or big for the smaller jobs. I've aslo looked at the 314 and a few other models that I have been told to look into but they are just to small. I rented a 312bl from a local guy and which I did get to see if I needed a bigger machine once I buy an excavator. The 315 size is looking very promising in my area or possibly the 320C LC. What's your thoughts between the 315CL and 320C LC with the smaller tail swing. I will be keeping this machine for a long period of time so that may come into play aslo as hopefully my business will continue to grow. Thanks