Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sprocket not Working?

skadill ยท 2013-01-13 23:54

This one is being turned back into an idler by the looks of it .Just had to take a photo of it to let people laugh,worst I've seen on an excavator(330 Cat)

Replies21
  1. #1Permafrost-ed2013-01-14 00:27

    Holy h*ll! How on earth does that happen? Funny thing is the chains don't look that bad! Could it be bad steel in the sprocket?

  2. #2HSV1272013-01-14 00:49

    You'd think it'd be getting pretty frustrating trying to drive it around like that! haha

  3. #3finaldrive2013-01-14 10:38

    Good lord! The chain has probably cut into the gearbox too. I imagine there is going to be a lot more problems that occur from this

  4. #4JDOFMEMI2013-01-14 11:37

    I have seen some pretty bad sprockets, but this one takes the prize. I don't see there being case problems on the finals, but the impact damage that occurs when chains jump the teeth would have taken a toll on the gears inside by now. Even though the rails look good, the bushings are probably shot clear through to the pins.

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2013-01-14 11:41

    Oops

  6. #6Scrapper2013-01-14 21:53

    Is there a reason why Cat didn't put a split (Segment) sprocket on excavators like they do on some dozers? For all I know maybe some excavators do have segmented sprockets. Seems it would be a lot easier to replace them if they did.

  7. #7pp13bnos2013-01-14 22:02

    Impressive. My hats off to the bloke who pushed it this far.

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2013-01-14 22:13

    Just a guess here, but the fact that an excavator spends most of its day sitting still and digging, while a dozer spends most of its day moving, means that a dozer needs to replace the sprockets WAY more often than an excavator. I have seen a few excavators pushing near 20,000 hours and still be on the original sprockets. A dozer on the other hand, will rarely go more than 5,000 hrs on them. No need for the added expense if you only need to replace it maybe once in the machines life, unless you are in abnormal conditions.

  9. #9JGS Parts2013-01-14 23:27

    wow mate that guy got a good run out of it. think the owner might be a bit on the cheap side when it comes to replacing parts hahahaha

  10. #10jdm2013-01-15 09:11

    Hourly operator + boss in office.

  11. #11millercross32013-01-15 11:22

    Hmmm.......Smooooooth as a babies bottom. Heck, it's wore enough to drop the tracks and throw that bad boy on a set of train rails....now one can go custom rail-scavating. There's gotta be more wrong than just that gear. The outside track links shouldn't be THAT clean and polished up....should they?? Congrats on getting full use out of it though.:drinkup

  12. #12millercross32013-01-15 11:37

    I guess he can take it off and put it on the front now

  13. #13ddigger2013-01-15 11:45

    Thats just sad.

  14. #14alco2013-01-16 15:16

    I thought is had seen some pretty worn out sprockets before, but nothing like that! What scares me, is wondering how bad the rest of the machine is, if they've let things go that far with the sprocket.

  15. #15RobMonk2013-01-17 11:50

    I am trying to figure out how that worked when it was half that bad. That track must be so tight you can play a tune on it.

  16. #16JGS Parts2013-01-17 12:15

    Iam with you on that one RobMonk how the hell did it even work?

  17. #17Scrapper2013-01-17 12:24

    Maybe the other side is good. LOL

  18. #18johntims2013-01-17 12:32

    wow how many hrs

  19. #19oceanobob2013-01-17 18:56

    Was this from that TV show?

  20. #20pf/l2013-01-18 19:40

    Must've been pulling himself around everywhere he went. Never seen one that bad before. Unbelievable. I could never live with anything like that.

  21. #21DirtHauler2013-01-18 19:43

    With a sprocket worn like that, he could be off to the races on a hill. Remember the only brakes for that machine come from that sprocket or the bucket.