Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 314D Air Conditioning Compressor

Jake Erickson ยท 2024-07-24 12:38

At full throttle the compressor squeals terrible when it engages. At idle it doesn't make a sound. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with an aftermarket compressor. Local dealer wants $1,400 for a compressor. Can find them online for $260+. Looking for experience or reviews on aftermarket. Also I'm not by my machine but I'm assuming I have to pull the counterweight off again to install it? It's really not that hard of a job to do vs working in tight spaces. Thanks, Jake

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2024-07-24 12:53

    Are you sure it is the compressor.? Could it be the belt that is squealing.?

  2. #2Gary Layton2024-07-24 14:26

    My CAT 320C squeals at first when I engage the AC switch...for about 10 seconds. It was squealing for about 30 seconds and I tightened the fan belt...squeal is now down to 10 seconds. I may tighten the belt one more time but for now I am just dealing with the squeal for 10 seconds. For clarification, if I start the CAT with no AC involved (compressor not engaged), there is no squeal. When I push the AC button to engage the AC, the squeal starts...immediately push the AC button again (to disengage the compressor) and the squeal goes away. AC works great...it is a "must have" in the South Georgia pond/swamp I am working in...mid 90's temp, high humidity. I am assuming the compressor engaging puts additional strain on the belt and it squeals...but goes away as the belt "warms up"?

  3. #3reganj2024-07-24 21:27

    If the AC belt is running parallel/square,,not at an angle ,,, You can determine if the belt is causing the squeal by spraying it with any type oil,, WD 40 or whatever you have on hand. Of course this is only while you hear the squealing noise. If it quits squealing, it is the belt. Belts can become glazed over and make noises. Hope this is helpful.

  4. #4Gary Layton2024-07-24 21:53

    That is helpful...something I can try. Thanks.

  5. #5Tyler d4c2024-07-24 22:20

    If the foam is missing between the radiator and oil cooler and the Condenser is not getting enough air flow you'll get problems like you described here. As in the high pressure gas is not getting condensed in to liquid. This is assuming the Condenser is radiator mounted. I'm not sure if it is on that machine never touched one. Still worth the check if it has its own fans

  6. #6Monkeywithawrench2024-07-24 22:52

    Gary, Is there any chance somebody added more refrigerant to the system because it wasn't cold enough?? Just curious.........just ran into that on a 336. Condenser fan had died. Operator decided that the AC not working was because it needed more refrigerant. I have no idea how many cans this guy stuffed in there, but this machine was OVER FULL. An over charged AC system will make your compressor squeal as well. Could be as simple as tightening the belt.

  7. #7Gary Layton2024-07-25 00:30

    Thanks for the input, Monkey. I had the CAT tech service the AC a few months ago when he replaced a hose that burst. He recharged it per CAT specs...other work he has done has been excellent so I assume he did the AC right, too. Now...if I had done an AC system recharge you might be on track. I'm hoping tightening the belt a bit more will make it quiet...I'll look for glazing at the time, too.

  8. #8Jake Erickson2024-07-25 12:09

    I can't be sure but I will check on the belt tension. It does make a noise that doesn't seem like a belt squealing and more like the compressor would be failing. The belt is new as we had to put a new line on last winter because it had a hole in it and decided to replace that and an idler while the counterweight was off.

  9. #9Nige2024-07-25 13:28

    New belt may have loosened up slightly.? I would check belt condition & tension before proceeding further. Apart from anything esle - it's a cheaper fix....!!

  10. #10Monkeywithawrench2024-07-25 22:56

    And easier!! Always a big fan of cheap and easy solutions!!

  11. #11Monkeywithawrench2024-07-25 22:59

    Nice........didn't know CAT had recharged the system. Probably just a loose belt then.

  12. #12heymccall2024-07-26 00:56

    All my Mitsu-Cat excavators had a separate V-belt for the AC, and an adjustable idler pulley. The squeal is most likely a glazed belt from not routinely keeping it adjusted. And I mean slightly tightening every other oil change and replacing it every 5k hours or less. Once in a blue moon, the idler pulley bearing would go out on me, but, they always ate the belt.