Hello, I have a Caterpillar 320C excavator. It is the ANB serial range machine. I need to replace the belts on this machine. I would like to buy a NAPA or aftermarket set of belts. Does anyone know the belt numbers or interchange part numbers? My belt is worn so bad I can't read it! Also, what do I need to take off to put the belt on. Do I really have to pull the shroud and all that off? Standing on my head? WOW. Thanks!!
Two options for your machine. 1. if it's a serpentine belt you need 1 x 183-2835 2. if it is a set of 2 v-belts you need 1 x 217-5420 (a set of 2 belts). Parts Book contains no information about belt sizes, sorry.
The fan guard screen is two part. Remove the top half. 6 M10 bolts (16mm heads). To get to the AC belt, remove the skinny under belly cover. The AC belt (CAT 9L2248/ Napa NBH 259480) is removed by loosening the nut (18mm IIRC) on the idler pulley, one turn, then unwinding the jack screw 12mm IIRC). The AC belt needs removed to access the alternator belts. Cat wants $21.67 for the AC belt, and my Napa is $18.69. My ANB01020 had the 217-5420 belt set. I can't find my replacement notes, and, while the new Safe Source book lists tons of belt dimensions, that set isn't listed. The NEW Safe Source Book http://www.whayne.com/parts/Documents/OneSafeSource2013-14_PECP9067-04.pdf
thanks nige. once again you helped me! appeciate it. Thanks so much for helping me. My machine has a serpentine looking main belt and a little belt for the air conditioning compressor from what i saw when i lasted looked at it. What would I call that belt system? Would i use part numbers from each of those that you mentioned? thanks so much
THanks! My machine has a flat main serpentine and one small belt for the a/c unit. (from my memory). So, based on this...what belt part numbers am i dealing with? Thanks for the info on the replacement technique. That will save me a load of time!! Aint it great to have CATERPILLAR equipment sometime? It is so much easier to get INFO and parts and such than if it was an oddball machine!!!
Serpentine belt .......1 @ 183-2835 AC belt ..................1 @ 9L2248 In my experience, the AC belt needs tightened every oil change, and the alternator belt, every other oil change.
9L2248 is 1/2" x 48" 1838235 is 1 1/4" x 61.4"
Thanks for the help guys. Excuse me...my memory was wrong. My machine has 3 belts! Two on the main pulley and 1 on the air conditioner! I am sorry for leading this question off track! my belts are so work they have lines cut in them. The a/c belt is kinda new but its off the dang compressor now. Must have gotten loose!
ok. update. my machine has a serpentine belt and 1 belt on the a/c compressor. the reason i thought it was 3 belts is because the belt was so badly worn that the rubber between the 3 v's was separated! at one revolution that i view it..it looked like a serpentine..and when i viewed the belt another time...the adjoining rubber on top was separated. i had to order this serpentine from the cat dealer. 80 dollars! the a/c belt can be bought anywhere. thanks guys. and special thanks to NIGE.
So you've wasted three days on the internet and several other people's time just on a poxy fanbelt in order to save about twenty bucks.
You really didn't have to make a negative comment. My machine is in a remote location and several hours from a Cat dealer. The machine is doing an important job and downtime is detrimental. I have to change the fan belt at night. I couldn't take the old fan belt to match it up to another because it would be at night and no parts stores would be open. The Cat dealer did not have a belt in stock to begin with and it was gonna take x amount of days. Visually looking at the belt...it appeared to be three separate belt in one position and a separate time, when the engine was in another position, it looked like serpentine(according to the operator). There are NO aftermarket matching belts for this machine except for the a/c compressor. This was found out THANKS to Nige. Nige and I were emailing behind the scenes of this thread. Simply waiting for the main belt to fly off of this machine is what I wanted to avoid due to importance of the job. I was trying to do preventative maintenance and have a belt ready to put on the machine. And, the a/c belt that was on the machine was the WRONG belt. It had fallen off the pulley. I could go on and on about this situation and explain away....but the end result was that I am having to WAIT for the belt to come into CAT and then be delivered to me and I am sure the belt on the machine isnt gonna last until then and will breakdown in the middle of the job with open trenches in the remote mountains blocking a much needed road. anything else you want to complain about? you wasted my time and our time with your complaint. you could have just said nothing and not wasted YOUR time with a negative comment. the purpose of a discussion forum is to discuss...and to build an archive and database of troubleshooting etc...
I keep a extra set of belts zip tied to my fan shourd, in the event I should throw or brake a belt during shift, that way it only takes a little effort to change. When it is time to change belts at my service intervals, I use the zip tied ones and replace em. Cheap insurance.
very very good advice ddigger! i have done that on some older equipment when belts were simpler and cheaper. it might be worth it on something like a cat320c. i guess there would be room to do that on this machine hopefully. it really saves taking the shroud and fan or whatever hardware off of the machine to replace a belt.