Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 3406 67u block to 99u block parts swap

sven_B · 2024-07-02 17:35

I have a generator engine (3408--67u3811) block number 4N80 this engine has low hours and is a good runner I also have a marine engine (3408 --- 99u03960) block number 7n850 this engine has a bad block The marine engine parts are all good, and I want to remove the generator front and rear covers and switch them so I can add the marine parts to the generator block leaving the heads and pistons liners and injector pump (governor removed)intact Is this a feasible endevor ?

Replies8
  1. #1Coaldust2024-07-02 17:57

    Didn’t we already do this back in February? I would get a paper copy parts book for each engine and start comparing part numbers. You are going to discover many differences in the rotating groups.

  2. #2sven_B2024-07-03 05:31

    Still trying to get this project done , getting old and slower. I have found that cat is very. good at changing part numbers, it gets to be very confusing. Just hoping that if someone has done a project like this will add feedback

  3. #3Nige2024-07-03 06:54

    Here's a brief comparison rundown between 67U3811 & 99U03960, considering updated Part Numbers, etc, etc. Cylinder block - same. Crankshaft - same. Front & rear gear groups - same. Regarding cylinder heads, camshafts, and piston/rod group. Due to the age of both these engines there is no detailed information available. Need the Arrangement Number for both engines in order to dig deeper.

  4. #4sven_B2024-07-03 08:53

    Thanks much that's what I needed to know

  5. #5sven_B2024-07-03 09:00

    99u03960 ar 8n6663 67u3811 ar 8n3908

  6. #6Nige2024-07-04 04:46

    OK, so the common parts list between the two arrangements becomes longer........... Engine oil pump, water pump, front housing, oil pan, fuel priming pump, fuel filter assembly, camshaft, cylinder heads, valve mechanism & covers, engine oil cooler, crankshaft damper.

  7. #7Nige2024-07-04 05:24

    Now to the major differences.......... Pistons & connecting rods. They will interchange as complete assemblies including the big end bearing shells. Don't try to "mix & match". Flywheel & flywheel housing. Fuel injection pump, governor, fuel/air ratio control. Interchange as a complete assembly. Fuel injection lines and injectors. Ditto. Ask if there is anything I've missed that you are particularly interested in.

  8. #8sven_B2024-07-05 12:43

    that is a tremendous help thank you