Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 730 Off-Highway Truck NO START

zx240lc-3 ยท 2017-10-30 11:33

Hello, We had a Caterpillar 730 off-highway truck go down last week. There was a fuel line that rubbed through from the tank to the primary filter. The truck ran out of fuel and since replacing the line and both fuel filters we have not been able to get it started again. We have bled the system as best we can and have 70psi fuel pressure after the transfer pump at the secondary fuel filter base. I also replaced the fuel check valve in the secondary filter base and that did not help and did not change our fuel pressure at all. The motor is a C11. We get no smoke out the exhaust pipe and we have tried running it off ether to try to get the air bled from the system and out of the injectors but once the ether runs out the truck just dies. What can we do as a next step? it almost seems like the ECM isn't firing the injectors. I have no way of checking the codes but today i noticed there is a little book icon coming up on the display. Anyone with experience dealing with one of these? I am not sure why simply replacing the line is causing us so much trouble getting it going again. I've herd these can be a b!@Tch to get going again but maybe we are missing a simple step somewhere. -j

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2017-11-03 10:22

    Can you post a Serial Number and maybe a photo of the dash panel showing which indicator on the display is illuminated..?

  2. #2Bls repair2017-11-12 18:58

    Did you crack the injector lines? I do not recommend using starting fluid.

  3. #3Manu2019-12-09 01:16

    When electronically controlled fuel injectors are run out of fuel it is sometimes hard to get the air out. I use a portable fuel pump setup to "supercharge"the fuel galleries then crank the engine. If that doesn't work connect ET and verify that fuel position is turned on if there is an emergency shut down attachment.