Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 7u D4 hydraulic ram rebuild

wakedirt ยท 2021-03-10 16:40

I was looking to rebuild my lift rams for my 59 D4, I found a part number on the rams 8E2657 or maybe 8E2857, has anyone done this? They leaked right out of the most forward part of the ram housing.

Replies7
  1. #1Old Magnet2021-03-10 19:06

    That's actually a 8F2666 cylinder part number. I don't know of any kit offerings anymore.

  2. #2wakedirt2021-03-10 20:55

    Thank you for the reply, it's basically a consistent drip (maybe one drip every 3 seconds)out of each side at the bottom of where I'm guess g the "gland" is. I don't know if the whole cylinder needs an overhaul vs just repacking the gland?

  3. #3Old Magnet2021-03-10 21:25

    Says they have the 3F9509 packing here and the 1B2418 seal is a CR 19886 https://www.machinerytrader.com/parts/search?page=1&partnumber=3f9509&searchtype=starts-with Did you try removing shims from the gland and retightening?

  4. #4wakedirt2021-03-10 22:01

    I did not, I already have it removed so figured I suppose I'll do the seal for the gland thanks for the help, life saver!

  5. #5wakedirt2021-03-16 22:09

    I found the gland in the above diagram cross-referenced to too large of a gland #308-1845 is the prefect fit to replace the "dust gland" Also, I am about to rebuild, real question is do I use the shims again? There are four thin shims previously used does it seal better with out or can it get "too tight" without?

  6. #6wakedirt2021-03-16 22:11

    I do see how removal of the shs would sponge the glands/seals but since I have it apart I'm replacing everything, are the shims a must now that I rebuild?

  7. #7Old Magnet2021-03-17 00:56

    The shims are there to provide future take up adjustment. Without them you would need to replace the packing if they start to leak.