Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 930 loader keeps melting glow plug tips

DJ Diesel · 2019-04-13 17:46

Working on a caterpillar 930 ser#73U. I am looking for some advice, We are melting the glow plug tips. Originally thought the driver was powering them up excessively, completely unpluged the glow plugs but we still having the issue. Running them for two long is been eliminated. Poor quality tips?, tried OEM and aftermarket and still fail. Remove and replaced nozzles and verified they are machine correct per part#. Remove Injection pump, Replaced plungers and barrels, Rechecked the timing.

Replies6
  1. #1Bls repair2019-04-13 19:31

    Check temp of glow plug at head? Engine running hot?

  2. #2DB22019-04-13 19:36

    Over fueling or timing ?

  3. #3thepumpguysc2019-04-13 20:49

    I think DB2's got the right answer.??

  4. #4DB22019-04-13 21:20

    Any that I dealt with that had burned out swole up but the tips were intact. Melting is a whole different set of circumstances IMO. We had a 930 for 20 plus years and half a dozen 282 Binders for a while. Between those and an 7.3 IDI I’ve changed a few glow plugs but never saw any tips melted off.

  5. #5Nige2019-04-14 05:17

    Did the melting glow plug issue start right after some repair work on the engine..?

  6. #6Cmark2019-04-14 06:35

    Try this