Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 938G Third Valve

RBMcCloskey ยท 2014-11-17 10:10

Good morning everyone, How involved is the installation of a third valve into the loader control. I am looking at 938G's in Texas and would like to add side dump buckets to these machines. I do not have a parts or service manual for the 938G's, is the control in the hydraulic tank or is it outside? I have looked for 938's and 950's in Texas and neighboring States and can't seem to find any with side dump or third valves, side dump buckets seem to be a Northeast attachment. Thanks, Bob

Replies2
  1. #1Nige2014-11-17 16:22

    On the 938G the electronically-controlled implement control valve is mounted down in the front frame above the axle. The only difference between a 2-valve and a 3-valve would be the valve itself (different valve bodies) plus obviously the lines for the 3rd function and the additional control handle/wiring associated with it. To go into any more detail I'd need a Serial Number.

  2. #2RBMcCloskey2014-11-17 18:17

    Nige, Thanks, it gives me some leeway, I was hoping it was not in the hydraulic tank like earlier models. Bob