Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Thoughts on “sunbelt rental” lube service truck?

chrisbowles ยท 2014-11-16 22:44

I found a sunbelt rental 06 c4500 4x4 truck (ugly green). It's 4x4 duramax and has Allison trans. The big selling point is it has a lube package. 2 new products 1 waste tank. Has 13 ft knapehide bed.. It has no mechanic drawers. 7 drawer mechanic drawer insert cost about 1600.00. It has honda air compressor. The truck has 240k miles for 20,000.00. I got a small 3203 autocrane to mount on passenger side. The truck will need to be painted, bed beefed up for crane to be mounted. I figure I will have 27k by time everything is like I want it. Does anyone have any experiences with these trucks or there lube packages. The truck will be my mechanic truck. I have about 25 pieces of excavating/logging equipment. I want to be able to pull up to a job and have everything I need to perform basic maintance and light mechanic duties. What's everyone's thoughts?

Replies15
  1. #1Moonlite2014-11-16 22:49

    If its from the company directly ask for service records.

  2. #2chrisbowles2014-11-16 22:53

    It's from a used dealer. I'm going to take oil samples and send to cat before I sink any money in it. If I got to spend few thousand for a trans or motor I wouldn't like it, but I'm planing on keeping this truck long term.

  3. #3Moonlite2014-11-16 23:15

    I agree on the green paint. When i worked there i had an 06 f450 but i got it when we were nations rent so it was white.

  4. #4caterpillarmech2014-11-17 04:34

    I had a c5500 and loved it. It is still a good truck but the injector pump is starting to go. Logs low rail pressure once a day. Mine was 7 years old and had 250,000miles on it and was great. I would still not be afraid to drive this truck anywhere.

  5. #5Deeretracks2014-11-17 11:18

    I'm not sure what type of terrain you guys log in Alabama but up here in the PNW everything is in the hills. Just be aware that you will probably be running that truck at max GVW all the time once you add a crane and logging gear. I would be concerned about the tranny and brakes running a truck like that around here but your situation may be much different. We got a good deal on My Acterra 6500 from a logging co because they ordered too big of service body on too light of chassis and couldn't keep brakes on it. They ditched it with 60k miles on it.

  6. #6AlldayRJ2014-11-17 11:50

    You can probably get the service records with the vin number even if the truck is being sold by someone else

  7. #7excavator2014-11-17 11:56

    How is the parts availability for Chevrolet medium duty trucks since they are no longer building them?

  8. #8mowingman2014-11-17 12:18

    If Sunbelt maintains their service trucks as poorly as they maintain their rental equipment, I would not go near it. It will most likely be a worn out piece of junk under that green paint. I believe all of their surplus/used inventory is sold at large auctions across the U.S.. So, the dealer who has it likely got it for pennies on the dollar. I would bet the dealer doesn't have much over $10,000 in it.

  9. #9chrisbowles2014-11-17 20:10

    I had a 6500 with a cable crane, the gm only parts were high..... Very high! I have a 6.0 ford, like to broke me. I'll report back Thursday when I go look at the truck. I wonder what it will cost to cover the ugly green up? :/

  10. #10FSERVICE2014-11-17 23:40

    green is not ugly!!! its the color of money!! LOL I know of 1 of these trucks that came from the local sunbelt store the guy purchased 3 years ago & has done nothing other than maintain stuff to it. when he got it the truck had 250000 miles, its got over 400000 on it now still running good.

  11. #11Randy882014-11-18 07:24

    I'd look at auction results to find out by the time your done with this one, what final price you'll be in, how much more truck you can get for the same dollars. Pete, international, freightliner, and some others have been in the medium truck market for a long time, I'd also jump up a size or two in trucks with higher gvw's right from the start for what your wanting to do. You also get an engine you can overhaul instead of the sleeveless throw away versions ford or gm make. As for the miles, that's one view, how about hours?? most service trucks sit and idle constantly to either keep the cab warm, or run lights to shine on things or provide power. As for sunbelt rentals.........................I'll second what mowingman said and then some. As for the price..............figure in the total cost when you have it to where you want it, and then shop in that price range and compare trucks from there, not where your starting at. Never been a fan of the sleeveless diesel's ford or gm put in the pickups nor the pickup either. I know that model is supposed to compete with the medium lineup of the larger truck brands, but like what has been stated before on here, they are not made anymore, so how about parts 10 years from now?? The larger lineups of trucks have parts readily available decades after that model is updated.

  12. #12Deeretracks2014-11-18 12:04

    Parts shouldn't be a huge deal. Many parts/componants are the same as the chevy pickups and a lot of the powertrain uses parts common to other med-duty trucks.

  13. #13mitch5042014-11-18 21:56

    I thought GM's light medium cabovers were rebadged Isuzus? On edit: Oops, ignore me. :beatsme

  14. #14Randy882014-11-19 06:15

    Mitch I think your right on the cab over lineup, but the 4500,5500 and 6500 were not cab overs, these were also supposed to be somewhat larger trucks to compete with the 4000 series international, and the fl 60,70 and 80 series freightliners. I think they took the place of the older top kick lineup of trucks gm made in the past with cat diesels in them.

  15. #15mitch5042014-11-19 18:30

    Yeah, I realized after I typed that he had said C4500, not W4500