Where might the serial number be located on my circa 1957 955 Traxcavator?
One place to look might be on the engine. Not sure about 1950's machines but in the late 1960 and 1970's most of the machines I worked on had an engine s/n that was the same as the machine.
My 58 933 Traxcavator is a tag on the left side of the block to the rear. Do you know where I can get a carrier roller and some of the other parts listed in my thread?
kshansen, thanks for your response. Now trying for the correct repair manuals. Then the steering issues. Larry
Sting, good answer. The tag IS on the left rear but printing is no longer readable. Maybe an infra-red light at night. On Friday I got my 955 from a guy who rolled it down off the mountain behind my place. He wanted to set him in my yard til he could haul him off to auction. Pretty cool dozer but has a firm reluctance to turn left. I got a roller for my 1088 excavator from Titan Machinery, nationwide. It arrived in its' wrapper with a CNH Industrial label. It is a global industrial equipment company. So for four years it's been sitting on the bench waiting for me to install. How'm I doin! Interestingly, I found a piston skirt cooling jet for my '57 Hough C100 Loader thru Cooper Tractor, Portland Oregon. Serial number 1933 Int'l D17 engine. Sting, Thanks Fer Checkin' In, Larry - '50 Intl L160 Corn Binder, '57 Hough C100, '76 NH 775, '91 Case 1088LT, '96 Case 9060B, and now my Traxcavator! All run good but none operate right, Summer here I come!
Sorry it took me so long to get you the info. Picture shows on the left side of the engine block just above the pinion clutch. There is another one on the left rear flat of the transmission case sometimes it is stuffed behind a winch or been knocked off. SOMETIMES someone might have hand stamped S/N on tranny case where the tag use to be just above the Trans Group Tag ... If you can't read the numbers take some thin clear oil and pour lightly don't rub it in; sometimes the oil will bring out the numbers.. Magnaflux may be used when on sign of numbers are not viable to the the eye. I have a 57 and a 58 955C. The 1957 S/N is 12A-03563, and the 1958, S/N is 12A-04040 To give you a BALL PARK figure on the production date find several casting dates found all over the engine between two screw heads and using the CodeX cypher the dates these dates are 3 to 6 months prior to the production date. CodeX N = 0 U = 1 M = 2 E = 3 R = 4 A = 5 L = 6 C or K = 7 O = 8 D = 9
That second picture took me a few times to be sure I was seeing the letters between the screw heads. Now I see it as "E M A A C" E= 3 M=2 A=5 A=5 C=7 So now I see the 3-25-57! Always figured those letters and suck on a casting meant something to somebody but never had an idea how to decode them! Thanks.
Sorry I grabbed the first pic I came across ... I could have gotten a better picture of the casting to show you.
I could have gotten a better picture
kshansen and Fat Dan, thanks a lot for your research efforts and excellent photos. I was able to faintly see parts of the patent numbers on the plate riveted to the rear left. This by putting a tarp over me for darkness and shining a weak lazer light. There were countries from all over the world but couldn't detect anything with a series/model number. I'll try the oil lenz. I'll feed back with my successes on my Traxcavator! Larry
Fat Dan and kshansen, Here's a couple of chuckles for the crew. The CAT is a C955 Traxcavator, likely from the fifties. The identiplate happened to shine brightly in the afternoon sun and I was able to read what may be a serial number; "Registrada Bajo No 4341 Mexico" - Any ideas on what repair/operator manuals would match up? While trying to remove the Mickey Moused transmission filler cap, the stud dropped straight down. Well, back to the mine. Larry
It's the Caterpillar trade mark that is registered in Mexico. Has nothing to do with the tractor s/n.
Old Magnet, thanks for your reply. I make hi-temp rare-earth magnetic drain plugs for my fleet and friends (for free). Larry
I have a few suggestions for manuals to pass on. Old Magnet and I had a similar conversation awhile back about manuals here is a link to that conversation. I would add it is best to stick with genuine Cat manuals because the aftermarket ones aren't as accurate. HeavyEquipmentForums
Fat Dan, Old Magnet, kshansen, Sting, good news, found the tag on upper left rear of engine covered up with time. The CodeX reads EMOA L = March 28, 1956. Serial Number reads 12A1 1748. Great research guys! The three manuals ordered. Now to fish for the bolt and washer that fell into the tranny. Thanks for all of your help. Keep me up on latest adventures with our family of Traxcavators. Back to the mine! Larry
Fantastic news just ua don't buy up all the parts I need .... LOL
Fat Dan, I just tried to put in a photo of my handsome '56 Trax but screwed everything up in this system. Finally stumbled back to here. Good News, got the tranny shifter housing out and there lie the bolt/washer that I "dropped down". No fishin' ! Since you're in Alaska I'm wonderin' what oils you use in your Diesel, Tranny, Torque Converter and Drive. My manuals haven't arrived yet but thought you'd like the good news. I was hauled around the Nam in a Douglas C-123 Provider twin engine transport. It was introduced in '56. Another handsome guy. Talk Soon, Larry "Mountain Man"
@MOUNTAIN MAN "O' man I love it when a plan comes together." NO FISHING is a good thing when you talking about oil applications. You are a lucky puppy ... BTW did you go get a lotto ticket? An old mechanic friend stopped by one day and asked "WHY!? Traxcavators?" Then he laughed out loud and slapped the A-frame over the engine and added "The A-frames gets in the way of everything." I was in total agreement. Anyway, he said 10W is your friend it goes in everything. He suggested for the Diesel and pony to get a drum of 10W with an extra drum AND a drum of 30W and an extra drum so when it goes from summer to winter I could drain the 30W put it in the used good oil drum and put in fresh 10W for winter and viscera in the spring ... depending on the amount of hours worked on oil. I would suggest NOT using detergent*, multi-grade or synthetic oils and try to stay with one brand of oil. Now ask anyone that has lost and engine due to lack of oil and they will tell you any oil is better than no oil. My reasoning for non-detergent oils is "Don't wake a sleeping Giant." Lets take your 955C, it ran non-detergent oil from 1956 and in all the hidden passages, kooks and crannies have large sharp particle carbon monsters laying in wait. If the particles are flushed out of their sticky slumber by a high detergent oil it will dump a large amount of gunk into the oiling system and after 60+ years of accumulation will continue to release garbage for at least another 60+ years. Now from what I understand about oil is all multi-grade oils are detergent based, I could be wrong. Mixing brands and grades of oil from experience has showed me in the past to cause an engine to start smoking. Now that I've said that, I usta use bulk oil ... 'again any oil ... '. Bulk oil was found at service stations and was the leftovers from oil changes and when patrons would add a quart to their vehicle the last little bit in the can would be drained into a drip can usually setting beside the gas pumps. Synthetic oils and blinds should not be mixed with non-synthetics because, simply put, they don't mix well. *Non-detergent oil's main characteristic is dirt and crud does not stay suspended, it falls out. A good article on that issue is on Yesterday's Tractors good pros and cons motor oil non detergent use it or no? https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ferg&th=44676
Fat Dan and "Old Mechanic Friend", thanks your for excellent engine oil overview. Answers some questions I had floating in my bean. Now to the Tranny. When I got the bolt/washer out I stuck the dipstick all the way to the case bottom and there was about two inches of oil. What fluid do you recommend for flushing? What weight do you use up in the Last Frontier? I have a hunch that my '56 hasn't had a thorough goin' thru for many a decade. Speaking of decades, the KC-135 Tanker first flew this month in '56. Still not as handsome as my TRAX! Mountain Man
I'm needing to replace all the orings on the hoses that go to the hydraulic reservoir at the reservoir does anyone know the part numbers for them by chance i know that 4 of them are matching sets 2 and 2 but I'm not sure on the other 2 and I have no part numbers for any of them working on an old 977 h traxcavator
catalogue is for serial numbers 60A1-UP. Weldingwrench1989, I'm looking at the parts catalogue of a 955 Traxcavator for serial numbers 60A1-Up. My 13 year-old operator just found a photo of a 977. I can't see the difference but it has an EROPS cage attached. Why mention this? There are a lot of 977 parts books for sale between $20-$50. In my incorrect catalogue for my '56 955 shows "I-Seal IH 9696" at the hose end (to the filter) and the tube end (to the pump) shows "IH7339-SEAL". In my correct parts catalogue, with a different serial number group, the seal numbers are the same. So my SWAGer wonders if the majority of Traxcavators are the same. I just received an O-ring sizing cone that goes several inches wide for $33. I haven't, as yet taken peak but my other equipment uses regular SAE/M size seals that matched up with a size out of my red or blue cheap o-ring kits and have held so far. Possibly remove them and go to an auto parts store or a tractor store and have them size them. Maybe a good idea to not rip'em should you remove them. If they have some kind of an odd cross section shape, other than a typical round o-ring I would fish for the correct serial number parts catalogue then go from there. Thanks to the others in this organization, I was able to locate my serial number, buried under a thick layer of time, on the upper left rear of the engine block. Please set me straight with your findings.
https://www.purplewave.com/auction/150129/item/I2124 weldingwrench1989 - this address has is a photo of the manual that appears to be a match.
Takes two 6F6673 o-rings (dash218 trade size) and two 5F1678 o-rings (dash 214 trade size) Both 75 durometer NBR