Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 966A questions

IraIII · 2026-04-08 10:58

Hello I just purchassd a Caterpillar 966A, serial 33A1333, and would like some info on it. It will be used to grub out some brushy overgrowth here on my property, and for some land leveling, and snow removal, so no heavy use. I have read where the steering axle parts are a problem if they are needed, but other than this are these relatively trouble free for an ancient loader? This is the short wheelbase solid frame model, and seems in good repair, hour meter shows just under 4000, but who really knows. Does anyone know year of manufacture? I know that I will be looking for a left side cab door, anyone have clues? No picture yet as it hasn’t been delivered, but soon.

Replies20
  1. #1Simon C2026-04-08 11:46

    Unit probably has 30000 to 80000 hours is my guess. Unless some rich person had it for cleaning their snow. These machines were used extensively a long time ago. Parts will be difficult to get for some items. Simon C

  2. #2Nige2026-04-08 12:04

    Very little (read zero) information online for these machines. If you don’t have a Parts Manual yet it should be your first buy, the. You can search/buy by Part Number. Search for Cat Publication reference 00035184 that covers 33A prefix machines up to S/N 1453, which includes yours.

  3. #3IraIII2026-04-08 14:56

    The loader came with these from jensales, and I will get a parts manual, no way to really know how many hours but it doesn’t look like tons of hours, its pretty clean. And some pics from the listing. Definitely needs some tires.

  4. #4IraIII2026-04-08 14:57
  5. #5pittsburgh cat man2026-04-08 15:07

    That old girl looks pretty good

  6. #6Nige2026-04-08 15:58

    Unfortunately that brand of manual doesn’t have much of a reputation but they will be better than nothing. If you can’t find a used Parts Manual anywhere on the internet you can still download a genuine OEM one from the Cat Publications web site. Cat Publications Online - Order Cat® Parts and Operation Manuals Online Official source for Caterpillar® parts catalogs, operator and maintenance manuals, and service manuals for all Cat machines and engines. Purchase yours today! catpublications.com I agree. Very tidy indeed for the age of it.

  7. #7Rusted2026-04-11 17:37

    1961 build year.

  8. #8IraIII2026-04-11 18:46

    Thanks for all the info, it is 2 years younger than me. Starts, drives, lifts, dimps very well. Steering needs some help, stiff turning one way, needs at least 1 tire, and brakes need work. Will get after it when manuals all get here.

  9. #9Welder Dave2026-04-11 23:37

    It's really nice for 1961!

  10. #10John C.2026-04-12 22:20

    It's been prepped and primped for sale. The steering is a very concerning problem. It uses a very complicated followup mechanism that mounts under the cab. It has some linkages, springs, screw adjustments and if I recall right there was a ball joint and a pin joint that if loose can get real messy trying to correct. There are a couple of safety issues that go with steering. You have felt the slow steering to one side. The other is when the steering starts to slam back an forth suddenly. The last safety issue is to make sure that no adjustments to that linkage be made with the engine running. I know of a gentleman who got a leg crushed and was lucky that was all that happened. Good Luck

  11. #11oarwhat2026-04-13 07:45

    I saw that machine for sale locally. I owned one for a few years. One interesting thing was the gear box. If you take it out of four wheel drive the machine will travel faster. It ups the gearing some how. If you want to take it out of 4 wheel drive, Lift the front wheels with the bucket. It removes tension in the drivetrain. The steering makes it difficult to drive down the road. They like to wander!

  12. #12Shimmy12026-04-13 09:12

    If that machine had been used hard, the bucket linkage arms would be all welded up. I have never seen one before that didn't have at least one arm welded on. No idea on the steering, maybe it just needs a good saturation of Kroil on all that linkage and some gentle use to free things up? I suppose if it has a bunch of wear in the wrong parts, this could make it worse too.

  13. #13IraIII2026-04-13 11:24

    The amount of knowledge on this forum is amazing, and some local people also. I am very glad I signed up here this will help immensely.

  14. #14JaredV2026-04-13 20:33

    A local guy with a rear steer Michigan would road it in reverse, I guess it handled better that way.

  15. #15HATCHEQUIP2026-04-14 16:10

    Heard my father many times talk about the operators would road them as fast as they would in reverse but never forward

  16. #16cuttin edge2026-04-14 18:39

    I remember my uncle using an old 944 cat with the rear steering

  17. #17IraIII2026-04-14 19:38

    I was a mechanic at a 2000 acre fruit farm, and I can verify that rough terrain forklifts ( case 584, and John Deere 482) do definitely road better in reverse. My experience with loaders was with a 980 Caterpillar, 544,624,and 644 John Deere, Yale 1500, and 2000, and a large Samsung. I also owned two 933 tracked loaders, and a strange Balmer loader that was a skidsteer built on a ford 600 or 800.

  18. #18Tones2026-04-14 19:52

    Most loaders are faster in reverse. I spent a few days on a Hough 70 loading trucks in a gravel pit and it had to taken back to the yard each evening. I could beat the last loaded truck back driving in reverse, good for nearly 60mph, the truck was doing 50 when I passed it.

  19. #19cuttin edge2026-04-14 20:09

    Must have been a special order hough 70. That's almost 100 kilometers an hour. I wouldn't want to do that going forward in a loader let alone reverse

  20. #20Tones2026-04-15 00:26

    In reverse, that thing could fly, doubt the MPs could have keep up in their series 1 Land Rovers.