Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 966B

nevilley ยท 2021-08-16 02:59

Hi, My cat 966B has been sitting for a month or so, last time I used it ,it was running great, today when I started it I noticed it was missing, No oil in radiator, or water on the dipstick, I checked the fuel filter and very clean, I loosened the lines on the fuel pump and the engine went down in power however I noticed the one on the right (closest to the radiator) didn't make much difference to the engine....water came out the radiator overflow when it was running but I put that down to me topping it up a bit much, so wondering could it be a valve, or at worst a blown head gasket...it also blew more smoke than usual.....also I am wondering if it could be a injector.....thanks for any suggestions.

Replies4
  1. #1grandpa2021-08-16 06:19

    An injector nozzle would be the first thing I'd try.

  2. #2kshansen2021-08-16 07:14

    And one easy way to check that might be to swap #1 nozzle with #6 nozzle. If the problem follows the nozzle you have your answer.

  3. #3nevilley2021-08-16 10:39

    One member said it's possible there may be pin holes in the pre-combustion chamber, ,, not that I know much about this,, bigger job than a buggered injector nozzle I take it.....with the water in the radiator overflowing when i started the loader may be coincidental it just that while it was parked up a month ago I greased the loader and topped the radiator up with pre mix caterpillar commercial additive ( red stuff to stop rust etc)....so I am thinking this is why the radiator overflowed........ hopefully anyway.....

  4. #4Bluox2021-08-16 14:43

    Start the machine up with the cap off then fill the radiator full and watch for air bubbles. If no air then get a nozzle kit and replace it. Bob