Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 966B 75A loader

nevilley ยท 2018-02-05 06:22

Just wondering what the correct procedure of changing the oil filter on the hydraulic tank on a Cat 966B loader Mine has a bleeder nut...As shown in the pic.

Replies2
  1. #1kshansen2018-02-05 10:22

    Been a while but should not be too hard. After stopping machine I would loosen the filler cap to vent off any pressure. Then clean around the filter cover and using, I believe a 5/8 inch wrench, unscrew the center bolt and pull the filter(s) out. Don't recall if there is one or if they stacked two like on the 988A's. There should, I believe, a screen/shield over the filter(s) that has a cotter pin you need to line up with a slot at the opposite end fromt he cover to remove. All pretty basic stuff. SIS does not show 966A so can't be 100% sure but I believe the cover to tank gasket is a 4K1557 flat rubber seal. There should also be a 6F4855 oring to seal the center bolt to the cover. To replace that you have to remove a roll pin and spring that you can see once filters are removed. As for the bleeder screws, probably your real question, while I don't think it was critical, I believe it was common practice to start machine after installing fillters then open one of the screws to let air out. I know the newer machines do not have those screws and for the 966C they just say to leave filler cap loose start machine and let oil circulate, check level and tighten cap. Torque for center bolt is 43lb/ft. Looks like the oring seal for the bleeder screws should be a 6F5559, screw a 2J2864. Worst case if the bleeder screw was broke or lost you could replace it with a 3/8-16 short bolt and copper washer.

  2. #2nevilley2018-02-05 22:18

    Thanks for your info. Greatly appreciated.