Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar 966C versus Caterpillar 966B

nevilley ยท 2016-12-26 17:32

Hi, Apart from the age can anyone tell me the benefits a Cat 966C has over a Cat 966B...Also regarding the Cat 966C is there much ( if any) difference between the model 76J and 78G....I have advertised and have had replys about either machine I require the loader to do general farm clearing (stacking old logs etc) so will fit a set of log forks on the loader i buy... Greatly appreciate any replys...

Replies3
  1. #1kshansen2016-12-26 18:24

    I may be wrong but seems like the 966B had a transmission that was shifted by two different range levers by the left side of the seat. Believe it was something of a combination of a manual shift and powershift design. High and low range in a manual shift and high and low in a automatic/power shift section. The 966C was a full powershift design in all four forward or reverse gears. As to the difference between 76J 78G that's another one that could be hard to answer. I was only familiar with the 76J prefix. And just within the 76J prefix there were many variations over the years of production. If given the full serial numbers for a 76J and a 78G it might be possible to point out some of the differences.

  2. #2grandpa2016-12-26 18:40

    Most of the B series were of fiberglass soft cab construction, and the B's had air over hydraulic brakes? I wouldn't say my thoughts were gospel tho...lol.

  3. #3repowerguy2016-12-26 18:59

    If memory serves me right, the B was a articulated version of the 966 with the two speed trans and the hyd brakes. Decent farm machine though.