Dear Wise Ones: Please help if you can. My 416D has been running great all summer, but suddenly I notice that it will barely go uphill even in 1st gear. I checked and the hand brake didn't seem to be dragging, but this is what first came to mind. Can you please give me some ideas on where to start the troubleshooting? The hydraulics on this machine are a little complicated for me. Thank you very much, JB
I don't think your hydraulics are related to the drivetrain on this. Does your engine slow down while climbing hills? Does it blow black smoke while it slows down? Do you know how to check the torque converter fluid? This is a torque converter right? What's the rest of the transmission?
Hi too 0ld, we really need a serial number as there are 5 main 416D models and these are split again with serial number breaks in between. Also there are at least 3 different transmission set ups, standard ,power shift ,and auto shift have you changed the transmission filter and cut it open ? have you checked and cleaned the transmission screen ? have you checked the oil level ? Are there any strange noises and as Delmer said above, is the engine labouring and blowing smoke Mark
Sounds like the torch converter may be giving up .
Mark 250, I wish I weren't so stupid, but I am. The oil was low. A neighbor borrowed it preparing for his daughters wedding and put some hours on the old girl. I failed to check it before and/or after. Shame on me! I check engine oil and hydraulic every use, but the transmission has never used much, so I got out of the habit. This is a lesson to all who have machines that are going gray (even though it has less than 2500 total hours). Thank you all for your time in helping people like me! JB PS no black smoke, fluid very clean, starts easy and runs strong, Serial approx. BFP14000 +/-, new filter 100 hours ago, its a pretty nice machine, just not idiot proof, Delmer. PPS how do I go about checking the screen?
That's good to hear !!!
depending on the transmission fitted it be a small plate with 2 bolts either on the very bottom of the transmission or on the side near the bottom. you cant miss it when you get underneath mark
A transmission should not use or lose oil. You likely have a leak. Or worse, if there's no external leak... oil cooler, etc.
Thanks, Hosspuller: I will dig a trench, crawl under and look. Thanks, Mark: When I pull the bolts off to check the screen, a) will I need to have a new gasket handy, and b) do I have to drain all the oil, or will valves limit the amount spilled? Best, JB
you will lose most of the oil which is about 20 liters .change the filter as well and cut it open and inspect the pleats for contamination Mark