Trying to replace the hydraulic tank filter in the reservoir and having difficulty getting a wrench on the back of it. Manuel says something about a special tool from the dealer. Tried to get large plyers on it but not much room to work in there. Any advice or tricks on getting it out? Thanks Jeff
Maybe a picture of the filter would help? Sometimes you have to make the tool before you can do the job. If you could find a picture of the factory tool, that would help too.
Unless you allow dirt in threw the filler how does debree get in the hydraulic tank? I've pulled a couple out over the years and all have been clean as a whistle .
I needed to replace the tank gasket and thought it would be a good time to do it since it's never been done. If anyone has a picture of the dealer tool required that may help. I tried to put large plyers on the nut (it's about 3-4") but could not get space as plyers too long.
Here is link to the parts book----> http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr50284ar579671 The only special wrench I found was this one -----> http://partstore.agriculture.newholland.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr50284ar579600
My filter wrench measures about 3-1/8" across the opening. I cut up an old MG wheel knock off tool to make it. You could easily fabricate one from 3/16" - 1/4" plate. It didn't take much to loosen the filter once I made the wrench. I just tapped it with a hammer lightly and it came loose. I tried to get it loose with large channel lock pliers and that didn't work. I had to make a wrench and get on the nut base. I'm not having any luck finding the NH tool number for you but It's not the same size as the cap wrench you pictured.
Ok. Thank you. That helps a lot. Thanks for all the replies!
foolish me I was thinking screen in hydraulic tank had never seen a filter there before.
I would think the part number for the wrench would only be found in the OEM service manual.
It is just a big wire mesh screen. Would be near impossible to clog. I was glad I removed it though. That yellow round rubber disc to the left of my wrench was in the hole behind the screen.
Old thread i know but...What was that yellow disc? How did it gt there and how didnt that restrict hydrl flow..i have the same machine and was just in the tank this am but didnt take that filter off cause it looked clean..
Crap from hydraulic cylinders and sometimes fragments from hose linings can not be seen without removing the screen and then washing it and blowing it dry with compressed air.
Thanks..thats gonna have to be a summer time job..its pretty cold here and froze my hands off spongin the old hydro fluid out the access port..that messes up drain plug will also be getting takin care of when its warmer
I have no idea what the yellow disc came from or how my hydraulics didn't get clogged by it. It was rubber and jammed in the inlet hole sideways behind the screen. That screen has a large area so it is unlikely to get clogged except for stupid stuff like rubber discs and paper towels being thrown in the tank. Did I mention I also found paper towels in my hydraulic tank?
Im starting to really think i have that yellow disc blocking my line to the pump now..the hydraulic whine got louder with the cold and there is a definitly vibration in the suction line..really wish i had of took the time to build a wrench to take that filter off when i had it drained a couple weeks ago..now its really cold outside here and snowy..lol Do you think that yellow peice is a cap for the far end of inside filter and just worked itself off over time? Im kinda leaning to that line of thought...
Anyway you could verify that opening is 3 and 1/8 inch NH575e? I have a plasma cutter and want to make that wrench tonight and if its 3c tommorrow like they forcast thats warm enough for me to drain the system and check that filter out. Thanks man
Toxic; what weight oil is in your hyd. system ? Have you changed the spin on filter lately ? Is the oil warm when the pump is whining ? Or just doing it when really cold ?
Honestly i probabky havent used it long enough to warm the oil up fully..ground is frozen so i am limited to what i can do. Probably used the hoe today for 30 mins digging around an old burn pile today and it made the noise the entire time..hydrolic filter is new as of a week ago same with 80l of oil. I attached a picture of the oil i used in it..i really leaning towarda haveing a yellow disc inside the hydro tank behknd the big screen mesh filter..similar to what nh575e found when he took his off..that was about the only thing i havent done as i spounged out the tank cause the po dicked the drain plug so i drajned it from the access port in side of hydro tank.. and the pic of what nh575e found behind his filter..which i think is an end cap inside that probably came loose..
I dug this old thread up to expand on it some. Here is a rough drawing of the wrench I made to remove the tank screen. Can be cut from flat stock 1/4" thick. Someone suggested that rubber disc I found in mine was part of or inside the screen. When I did my first oil change I had purchased a new screen and just replaced it instead of cleaning. I just did another oil change and thought I should look inside the new one to make sure it was intact if in fact it was part of the screen. All I see inside the new screen is the glue bonding the filter material. Nothing that resembles that rubber disc I found originally. Mine was probably just a fluke in the manufacturing or maybe some filters had it and others didn't.
NH575E, Thanks for the update. I have been wondering where the heck that disc you found came from. Be sure I will be taking my filter off next time I change my oil, if for no other reason, to make sure I didn't get a defective filter as well.
I’m going to ask a series of dump questions, so I apologize ahead of time. I finally got my tank back installed and filled up with oil because of all the water issues I’ve had that’s been posted on other forums. I go and start the machine today after a few months of it being off, and no functions work and now a slight grinding noise is heard from what I believe is the pump as it’s not getting oil from the lines all dripping out because the tank hasn’t been on. My first question is about the filter. I would assume that it is a suction filter that goes to the bottom of the pump housing, right? If My assumption is correct, If there is a flap there, wouldn’t the plastic thing close as the machine is turned on as the pump is sucking? A friend of mine told me to push air into the tank and try to force oil to the pump, but that will require me to come out another day. Just trying to look for some advice. Thanks.
Update: my friend actually came over and had a compressor readily available. He blew air into the tank as I tried to function the controls. Barely any movement on anything and the noise is still present on what I believe is the pump. It’s not a grinding sound, just more of a big whine. The movements are very jerky and very slow. I know the pump is getting oil or anything wouldn’t move, but I ran it for about 10 minutes with no major change. I know there is a lot of air in the system. The hoses dripped out from the tank being off and I did have a swing cylinder rebuilt which has not been ran yet, so it’s dry. The oil level in the tank has not dropped at all which is surprising. I really think the flap on that filter is my issue. Any thoughts?
You won't know without draining the tank, removing the suction screen, and checking. Another path is to pump the oil out and remove the suction hose. You should be able to get a clear view inside the suction screen with the hose off. I get that draining the tank again isn't something you want to do but under the circumstances you will want to make sure the path from the tank screen to the pump inlet is unobstructed. Did you have the spin on filter off? Did you fill it before you put it back on? I have used a small 12v fuel pump to pump most of the oil back into empty containers before opening the drain. It was slow but effective. If your tank filler has a screen in it you will need to pull that to get a tube in through the filler hole.
I took the filter out before the repairs and cleaned it to get all the crud off. I then spun the filter back on and everything looked to be good. I then buttoned everything up and filled the tank entirely. I wouldn’t think anything is obstructing it, however the plastic flap that’s inside the filter is what I think the problem might be. My guess is that it’s somehow lodged sideways or something. Taking that suction hose off isn’t really an option. It’s super super stiff and it would probably just be easier to drain it as you mentioned.
NH, is my thought correct though? When the machine is running the flap is pushed to the end of the filter and when it’s not running it seals shut?
Not sure what flap you are talking about. That rubber disc I found behind my tank screen was from an unknown origin. I don't think it belongs in the system. I took it out and the brand new screen didn't have anything that resembled it. Did you replace the hydraulic filter under the tractor? If you had that off you should probably fill it as near full as possible before screwing it back on.
I borrowed these photos from others, but this filter that’s inside the tank was removed so I could clean in. My filter has a plastic disc inside that was in there when I took it off. It looks to be part of the filter and my guess is that it keeps the pump primed when the unit shuts off. in the picture I have below, it doesn’t look like there is one in here, but as I mentioned, there is no way it could have gotten there by itself as it is internal to the filter.
unfortunately I didn’t take a picture of it before I put it back on. I also didn’t prefill the tank as I was trying to keep dirt out of it and everything was preassembled in my garage.
Those pictures are mine. The rubber disc I found wedged sideways in the hole when I removed the original filter. Not knowing it was just a screen I had ordered a new one which is the photo that doesn't have the rubber disc. I assume that rubber disc was part of the original filter/screen but I don't know it's function. My hydraulics worked fine before and after. I imagine if that disc got in the hole right it would restrict or prevent the flow. The bottom line is my hydraulics work fine without any flap.
The filter I am asking if you pre filled is the big hydraulic filter under the machine. Not the tank screen. The hydraulic filter underneath looks like a oversized spin on oil filter.
I did not replace the filter during this change, but yes I always prefill filters before any application.
this is exactly what I have with mine. My thought was that the disk was a backflow preventer but now it’s sounding like it’s just closing the hole shut. Looks like I’m draining the tank and taking the stupid thing out!!!
Take some photos. I am curious about this stupid rubber disc and why it's in there. I found paper towels and all kinds of trash in mine the first time but nothing had stopped the flow or got into the pump.
not that it matters, I will take pics regardless if I do end up pulling it out, but it’s a hard plastic disk. It’s bigger than the threaded hole, so I know it was built at the factory.
The disc I found in mine was rubber and folded a little in the hole if I remember correctly. I didn't see any evidence of attachment or hinge. Another member told me it was up in the screen on their's where my new one just has glue . I don't remember who's that was.
Bought a new filter today and sure enough no plastic inside. I’m at a loss for words. I will take a pic whenever I pull the old one to show you all my craziness.
You really should replace the spin on hydraulic filter. The one that is not in the tank.
I agree and was planning on it. Problem is, the outside canister broke free from the filter and I need to cut the whole filter off to be able to remove it from the housing. That’s a project for a different day.
It may be restricting the oil flow and contributing to the whine you hear, although there should be a by-pass function to prevent that from happening. It may be easier to remove the entire unit. Better access to do what needs to be done to remove the filter would be a lot better.
X2 on the need to replace the hydraulic filter. Are you saying the hydraulic filter housing spins and doesn't unscrew? If that were the case I would assume it is leaking. I have to remove mine with a strap wrench and it takes a lot of force but it unscrews when I get it to turn.
I cannot imagine the shell rotates without tightening or loosening the filter. When all else fails a screwdriver can be driven completely thru it to enable taking it off. Be careful not insert it toooo high on the can. Or you could damage the the filter mount. I have had Caterpillar filters on so tight that a screwdriver would tear the shell and still not loosen it. "X2 on the need to replace the hydraulic filter. Are you saying the hydraulic filter housing spins and doesn't unscrew? If that were the case I would assume it is leaking. I have to remove mine with a strap wrench and it takes a lot of force but it unscrews when I get it to turn." Amen to that ! It should be leaking profusely.
Surprisingly the filter is not leaking whatsoever. I tried changing it last fall and that’s when I realized what was going on. I spoke with my neighbor who is a Cat mechanic and he said he has had this issue before but as you and NH both said, they leaked. Mine does not. I have yet to try the screwdriver method, but I’m planning on doing that once I get everything back working. I had no issues with the filter prior to me taking the tank off to repair it, so I’m not overly concerned. The filter only has about 150 hrs on it. Im hoping to go out tomorrow to change the internal tank filter, pending the rain holding off. I will keep y’all posted of what happens.
Well folks, finally got to the bottom of what is going on with my machine. After getting all of the oil drained out, I took the filter off and sure enough the inlet port is completely blocked by the plastic disk that I mentioned in a previous post. After inspecting the filter, it looks like it came apart somehow during the removal or cleaning process. You can see the difference between the new and old. After installing the new filter and filling it back up, the machine ran for an hour with no problems. What a freaking headache this has been. At least the rebuilt swing cylinder and the repaired hydraulic tank don’t leak anymore Toolbox be gone!!!! By the way the tank was painted yellow. I only had a gray primer picture.
Glad you got it going. Mine had the disc turned sideways like yours but it was in the pipe exiting the tank. I didn't have any operational problems. I don't see how yours was preventing flow stuck like it shows in the pic.
i may have missed it, but what brand is that filter ?
NH, I moved the disk sideways so I could show both the bottom of the filter and how it was loose inside the filter. I was very careful to remove the filter the second time and it was sealed shut to the suction tube. That’s why I had barely any hydraulic movements whatsoever. I have no idea how a little fluid escaped to do anything.
The box said CH which I assume is case. I don’t know if there was some other sub brand on it. I can look if you like, I still have the box in my truck.
You don't need to go through the trouble of looking. I just wondered it it was an off-brand.
Cosmarr1, I am super happy that you finally got the hoe back to life!! It is bad enough to have to do it once, much less 2x. What tool box...LOL I have heard of filter companies buying other brand filters to put in there boxes because of the pandemic and unavailability of there own filters. You did the right thing buying OEM, but even they have an occasional problem I guess. Thanks for the update and pics!
Swetz, yes I am sort of a pro with draining and refilling the hydraulic tank. In the 2.5 years I’ve owned it, I think I’ve changed the fluid 4 times (5 if you include the filter swap I just did) because of the stupid tool box! Luckily I bought 10 pails of fluid in November before the cost spikes of 2022. Honestly I tried looking for another brand filter but didn’t want to go through the hassle of trying to figure out thread sizes and all that stuff. So I just bit the bullet like NH did and spent $80 on a new one. At least now I know it’s right.