I have always been under the assumption that Cat never made a D10L , but I was searching through the dozers on machinery trader and came across 7 of them , so I stole a pic of one to post it here to see what others thought , it has a S/N 84W1184 , I know when the elevated sprocket dozers came out there was alot of machines later becoming bigger then origanally planned , like the 8's 9's and 10's but I thought they never made a D10L , is it really real ? or is some one at a Cat dealer trying to pull the wool over everyones eyes?
I certainly never have heard anything of a D10L, but that doesn't mean anything. Maybe they are out there. I have seen dealers doctor decals before, such as making a 375BL, which never existed. I'm sure someone will have an answer.
If I remember correctly, there was a discussion on here once about the actual size of a 8L or 9L compared to a 8, 9, or 10N. From what I remember, an 8L is comparable in size to a 9N and a 9L is comparable to a 10N. If you look at a 9N, the 8L appears to be about the same size, physically. I've run an 8R and 8L and the 8L definately felt like a bigger, heavier dozer. This could in fact be a 9L and they decided it would be a re-badged 10 for it's size, but remains an L in vintage. I've never seen a 10L, either, so that's my guess.
The original D10 was known as a D10 with no letter prefix after it. Most people say 10L due to it was in production when the 9L and 8L came out. But this is actualy the same size machine as the modern day D11. When the D8L came out Cat had made to big of a size jump in that machine compared to the old D8K. So they renamed the D10 to a D11. The D9L became the new D10N and the D8L became the D9N. The D8N became the new size machine. There are differences in the original D10 and the D11, but size wise, the are the same. So to sum it up if you were to mention this type of D10 and compare it to a 10N R or T it is not in the same class. So people say D10L, however no production D10L's were made just a plain D10, 84W serial number and 76X serial number prefix. Do not know if the decals in the first pic are from Cat or aftermarket? The pic that CATD9H posted is an original D10 not a 9L. Original 10's had twin stacks and you can tell by the mufflers on the side of the engine. 9L's were a single stack and the muffler was really not visable. Some of the early production D10's did have a single stack on them, twin stack is more common. There is a pic in one of the post's of a single stack D10 running in Norway under the thread of "30 Yr. Old Cat D10 still working". It is currently on page 27 of the dozers section.
84W should be a straight D10. No L or N or R or nothin........
I was thinking that same thing , I was only confused about the 84W , I wasnt sure if it was for the D10 or D10N , I was almost 100% sure that Cat never made a 10L, after posting on ths site and some research through some of my Caterpillar books now I am sure they didnt Its stupid that someone would rebadge a machine to be a non existant machine like a "D10L" and a "375B L" like D5G stated earlier
No such thing as a 10L "EVER!" trust me, anyone you ever hear call one that sack them!! My biggest pet peeves in the industry are people calling D10,s a D10L. Non genuine decals and tarting up older machines with modern paint schemes and decals. The used equipment market is rife with the later and it primarily comes about from the notion that Joe Blows dodgy as, font wrong decals are cheaper than genuine. The question for me that comes to mind is if a seller is willing to go cheap on the outside where i can see it what has he done on the inside where i can,t? Inveribly most used machines come advertised with minor and major repairs and it just worries me what lengths some people will go to to try and tart something up thinking the buyer is none the wiser.