Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar D3C LGP

excavator ยท 2014-11-25 19:35

Is there any way of telling by serial number whether or not a D3C has wet or dry clutches? I got a call to go look at this crawler, guy wants to buy it, just need to know about the clutches. It's a D3C LGP serial number is 1PJ01044. It looks like a grey market machine, pyramid pads and no decal pedal.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2014-11-25 19:49

    I'll check for you when I get into work tomorrow.

  2. #2excavator2014-11-25 20:21

    Thanks Nige. I appreciate all you help.

  3. #3Bob/Ont2014-11-25 20:30

    Look at the steering clutch case outside surface near the final drive level plug. If it has oil clutches it will have a 1/4"NPT plug to check the level on each side. Need allan key to remove. The covers have a large plug to fill. Later Bob

  4. #4Old Magnet2014-11-25 20:31

    Look under the tractor under where the brake drums would be. If it has a brake band support screw protruding through the case it has dry brakes, if not it's a wet clutch.

  5. #5Nige2014-11-26 07:48

    According to what I can see for that particular Serial Number dry clutches & brakes (8Y-1585 Brake Gp, Steering 1PJ0497-Up) but I would check for the signs of oil fill/adjustment points as per what Bob & OM have mentioned just to be sure.

  6. #6shopguy2014-11-26 18:16

    I had a D3B 23Y wet but I was told by local cat dealer it came with dry and was upgraded to wet with a field upgrade, just a thought.y

  7. #7John C.2014-11-26 19:38

    I've changed three or four of them to wet clutches. Short of what is said here you will have to look inside. As long as they work, what difference would it make?