Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar D4H

hougie ยท 2012-02-26 17:58

What are everyones opinions on the cat d4H? I would like to buy a small dozer and there a couple d4h's for sale in quebec. I'm not at all familiar with dozers, i just always dreamed of owning my own equipment so i bought a hoe last year, maybe a dozer this year.

Replies8
  1. #1Taylortractornu2012-02-26 20:27

    I think you would be more than happy with a D4H They can move alot of dirt. I run an older 85 D5B and its a tough old dozer. I run a small landfill and and push down and spread cover with the 5B as well as stripping and othere tasks. Dad found a 94 D4H with a cab and I wasnt really sold on it and the 6 way blade and the 4 cylinder engine compared to the 6 in the D5B. I was suprised at what I can do with it and how well balanced it is. Its alot smoother to operate to.

  2. #2grandpa2012-02-26 20:29

    Make sure it has the 3304 instead of the underpowered 3204.

  3. #3hougie2012-02-26 20:45

    thanx for the info so far, Two that i looked at had tags that said made in japan. Is that bad?

  4. #4Taylortractornu2012-02-26 21:09

    I think all of the D4h's were made by Shin Mitsubishi Caterpillar. Im not sure if any were made here or Canada. Also make sure its not a grey market either. I have a friend that has a Cat D4H and it was a manual transmission. Not the North American Straigtht shift. He has problems with some parts.

  5. #5hougie2012-02-26 21:17

    The manual you speak of, is that the ones with the shifter like a car in the middle instead of the shifter on the left side by your arm?

  6. #6Taylortractornu2012-02-26 22:39

    Yes it is, I think the NA models had this to but a different set up. My friends thats was a grey with the straight shift had it in the center with al lthe forward gears in a left to right 123 with the coresponding reverse right be hind them. I some of the timbe companies used to run forestry D4H's wit hthe NA straight shift that had a 3 or 4 speeds on the middled shifter and a reverser on one side if Im not mixed up. Call Cat with the serial numbers and make sure it wasnt a grey market rig. My friends dozer was bought from a sale without running the serials and it was a grey with the odd bearing set. Most of the NA straight shifters here were used to pull forestry plows and raking. and V blade work. They lasted longer on the straight pull applications than a powershift.

  7. #7ttazzman2012-02-27 12:59

    I have a D4H series 3.......does a great job for me around the farm building roads, general grading and clearing,.......as with any tracked machine look over the undercarriage as you can get as much as a small dozers total value in undercarriage parts......if you had not mentioned you already had a hoe i would have recommended considering getting a 953 sized track loader for a bit more versatility but i use my D4H and my 416c hoe together when i need a loader........if your working in hard clay chert soils a ripper comes in handy........i am at 2800hrs with no issues so far..

  8. #8hougie2012-02-27 19:39

    I was talking with some of the older gentleman at work and they said it's rediculously expensive to replace engines or undercarriages, Is that true?