I have a D4H that recently started to show a light on the panel for hydraulic oil temperature. It wasn't directly next to the symbol at first, however, now it has two lights on next to the symbol and an intermittent display of the charging light (just a second about every minute or two minutes). The dozer seems to be working just fine. No new noises and everything is working perfectly. The hydraulic oil is at the full level. I'm not sure what I should be doing next. Are there any suggestions?
If I read it correctly your photo shows two lights on the LH side of the EMS display. The bottom one (hyd syst temp) and the next one up (transmission temp). Is that correct..? An infra-red thermometer would be the easiest way to detect whether there is a fault in the warning system or that you really do have high temperatures in the systems where the warning lights are lighting up. the fact that you have an intermittent alternator light could possibly point to an electrical problem. Have you checked the basics such as alternator belt condition and tension..?
The next one up is the transmission oil level. It is actually the light between transmission oil level and hydraulic oil temperature. I have started the dozer today and both lights were on immediately. There was no time for the temperature to be a factor. Also, the alternator light would flash rapidly 3 to 4 times every six to ten seconds.
Can you post a Serial Number for the tractor..? It would help to identify the lights on the EMS panel. If you got the lights straight away from cold then it is not a temperature issue but an electric/electronic one. Have you done any basic checks on the alternator, belt, & belt tensioner..?
error.....
I have these numbers, not exactly sure which one is the serial number. This number is from the bill of sale... Ser num. 8pb01884 An incomplete number... --------2431 Holt tag on back W/O. 0115330 S/N. 1CE0236p Caterpillar tag near seat D4H 3204DI*8PB01884 45V66228 1CE02431 These are all the numbers I have found. If the main tag is somewhere else, let me know and I will go read it.
You have it - 8PB01884 45V66228 is the engine Serial Number 1CE02431 is the transmission Serial Number. It makes a difference to have the correct EMS Panel to look at, the Serial Number took me to it. I was looking at a different panel, also for a D4H. From your descriptions I think you may be a bit off as regards the warning lights on the panel. For your particular tractor there are only 6 functional warning lights out of the 10 lights actually installed on the panel. I don't know if you can read them on the illustration below but they are: - LH Upper - Coolant Temperature LH Centre - Engine Oil Pressure LH Lower - Hydraulic Oil Temp RH Upper - Power Train (transmission) Oil Temp RH Centre - Alternator RH Lower - Power Train oil filter plugged A question. Does the Master Fault light (#1 in illustration below) come on when the lights are flashing on the EMS panel..? Have you done the test of the EMS panel using the switch directly above the Fault Light..? With the engine stopped and key on it should flash the Fault Light as well as all the lights on the EMS panel. With the engine running it should be the same as with the engine stopped but additionally with the the audible alarm (buzzer). This might be a silly question but do you have an Operator Manual for the tractor..?
I checked my fluid levels again. Everything was fine. The tension on my belts seemed to be fine also. So I decided to start the dozer up and the two lights in the lower left of the display were lit as before, but this time there was no intermittent light from the alternator light. There was no fault light. After about 5 minutes the lights were off and I went about my business. However, my hopes that the problem had fixed itself were crushed when three lights in the lower left began flashing with the alternator light. This time the fault light would light and now I'm getting the buzzer as well. With all this activity I shut it down. A check of the fault lights with the engine off showed all the fault lights flashing with the main fault light, but there was no buzzer. The three lower left lights were also flashing with the alternator and fault light. Just doesn't show up in the picture. I don't have a manual but have decided to order one. I just want to make sure I get the right one. What did the serial number (which one was it?) tell you about my D4H? Thanks.
To answer your last question first, the Serial Number 8PB01884 took me to the correct instructions for the panel warning lights and their operation. When I first posted I picked a random model of D4H and the panel was slightly different. Your check of the warning lights and the Master Fault light with the engine off appears to be correct. The buzzer will only sound if you do the same test while the engine is running. To get your O&M manual, go to this web site - https://catpublications.com/ When it opens a popup window will also open. Click the Continue button alongside the "Continue as a Guest" option. In the Search Panel at the top enter SEBU6013 and click Search. The manual you need will be at the top of the list. You can order it in paper or CD version (both of which will have shipping and handling on top), or you can download a pdf document direct. The cost is $46 for the pdf download.
It appears as though you have an electrical problem, although I'm not sure if it is an alternator issue or whether the EMS panel itself is defective. Do you have a a digital multimeter or any other way of measuring the voltage at the alternator output terminals when the engine is running..? What's puzzling me is why the 2nd light up from the bottom on the LH side is lighting up when it doesn't actually do anything. Refer back to my description of the lights in post #7 above. If the light is apprently not connected to anything what is causing it to light up..? That's the question I'm asking myself.
OK, got that done. I've been meaning to do that for a while and your nudge did the trick.
Yes, that is puzzling and originally, it was the first light to appear. It was very dim at first and then over time it grew to full brightness and then the lower left light for the hydraulic temperature began to appear. The second light began to grow in brightness until they were both equal. That went on for a while then the third light at engine oil pressure would light to full brightness. At that point I would notice the flash of the alternator light. I do have a multimeter to check the alternator output.
Your first project is to read the O&M from cover to cover, a bit hard in the case of a pdf because there are no covers..... In the words of KSH you may not take it in the first time but there is a wealth of really good information in that book. OK if you have a multimeter please check what the voltage is at the alternator with the engine running at an RPM just off idle (somewhere around 1000+). That should be enough for it to be giving maximum output. The voltage should be in the range of 14-14.5V. About the EMS panel. Because it is of a modular design all the ten lights are physically in there, so when you hit the test button and they all light up that makes perfect sense. FYI the panel is used in no less than 316 different applications ...... so for some applications not all of the lights will actually be used, or the same lights may get used for different warnings between different applications. I just get the feeling that something could be amiss inside that panel for lights that have no use in your particular tractor are lighting up. If it's easy enough to get at the back of the panel, try unplugging the big connector that connects it the machine wiring harness and clean up all the pins & sockets with some electrical contact cleaner. Plug it back in and see if that makes any difference. Costs you nothing even if it achieves no result.
i am wondering if there was a conclusion to this .....my D4Hxl3 is showing me the alternator light.....did a quick voltage check at the batteries engine off and they were 12.7v so just right so its charging fine.....yep voltage check running next...belt check..etc....its always good to see what others similar problems had produced ...
I have not resolved this problem. Can anyone tell me where the sensor for hydraulic oil temperature is located on the D4H? Thanks. Ser# 45V66228 Engine Ser# 1CE02431
if its like a d5h it is on the front side of the oil tank, pull the cover off in front of the oil tank ( below the ropes mount ) on my d5h I had a squirrel get in there and make a nest and eat the wire
I sent you the electrical schematic in case it helps.
followup on my electrical light post.....replaced alternator ..fixed issue