I was pushing some dirt with my JD 450C (turbo charged) and all of sudden it stopped throttling up past about 1400 rpms. I am not sure what occurred to make that happen. I have shut it down and started back up but still will not move fast. I can push the throttle lever as normal and I see the throttle cable moving at the pump but no more rpms. Could it be the fuel filter?
U see the cable moving BUT what about the PUMP LEVER moving?? IF the lever is moving ALL THE WAY to the stop screws, THEN u have a problem.. I would disconnect the throttle AT THE PUMP & work it manually.. just making sure your getting full travel & rpms.. Does it have a manual shut off or electric?? if its manual, as long as your AT the pump, reach around & make sure the shut off LEVER isn't the problem.. make sure its in the run position AT THE PUMP, not just because the knob is pushed in..
If it has a Stanadyne/RoosaMaster pump on it.. remove the return connectors on top of the inj. pump.. ALL THE WAY down to the cover.. The last connector has a check ball in it.. if it gets clogged, it'll slow the rpms.. clean it & reinstall.. Personally, I would remove it.. start the motor & see if it revs.. THEN go about w/ the cleaning.. Fuel IS GONNA come out of the pump when u remove the connectors & start the motor, so don't be shocked.. if u need to, put a pan under it.. Good luck & let us know.. IF IT IS the connector.. ur prob. looking at a pump rebuild.?? I can handle that for ya..
I will try your suggestion. I changed the fuel filter yesterday and it throttled up to 2000 rpms but as soon as I put in gear it died back down to 1200 rpms and will not go past. Soon as I get a chance, I will try your advice and let you know. Thanks.
Thanks for the advice. I changed the fuel filter yesterday and it rev'd up to 2000 rpms but as soon as I put in gear, it died back to 1200 and would not go further. I will try your suggestion as soon as the weather permits and post the results. Thanks again.
I had a JD 450C and it did the same thing. It had the pump like the pump guy mentioned. They have some plastic parts in them that come apart. You will probably have to get yours rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one.
Thx Don, I will look at what was suggested. If after cleaning, can I pull the fuel injector pump without removing the front engine timing cover? How do I ensure that I have gears aligned so that when I reinstall, the timing is correct?
How do I get in touch with you reference rebuilding the pump if necessary and associated cost?
Do not pull the pump before getting instructions from who ever is doing the repair. . Engine timing issues and pump damage will result. Also, if you send it off, Drain & package it well. UPS, Fedex, and USPS are most unpleasant about leaking packages. After draining my pump as well as I could, I wrapped it in dry rags and double bagged it. TWICE. Even as a core, the pump is worth $$$ so good packaging is a must.
Thanks for the heads up!!!
Well I'm happy again! Thanks to the forum I was able to diagnose the problem and it was the check valve had gone bad on top of the fuel injector pump. I replaced that tonight and it ran like a champ again....took it to the woods and pushed over some hedgerows! Thanks for helping me solve that problem.
That still applies, sorry. If you had little black chunks in the valve, then shut it off if it starts hunting or surging, if you wait too long it won't shut off.
Happy for ya.. 1 MORE thing>> Check your engine OIL.. w/ a clogged connector, the pressure builds up & has a notion to leak off fuel pressure into the crank case.. Enjoy her while she's running right..
Heavy Chevy … What the guys are saying is: … You have NOT fixed the problem. Think a moment. The diesel fuel to the pump is extremely filtered, down to the micron level where you can't see particles without a microscope. Where are those little chunks you can see coming from? Answer: The internal pump parts are coming apart. Removing and clearing the check valve was only a test to determine the problem. Kind'a like a fecal exam I had the same issue. A pump rebuild is the only long term solution.