Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar D5C Power Angling Frame Sliding Bracket

rmcouvi03 ยท 2025-11-03 05:31

All My name is Ryan, 1st-time poster, and new to equipment. I bought a 1996 D5C that sat for a while and needs some work. The blade trunnion and spherical bearing caps are beyond worn. The inner cap is welded to what Caterpillar calls a "Power Angling Frame Sliding Bracket." In the picture below, #13 is the bracket I am trying to remove. The drawing also has an o-ring and an external retaining ring that I haven't come across yet. I have the bracket unbolted, and it pulls forward, but won't come out. There is a plate on the other side of the C Frame behind it. Do I need to cut this plate off, and is there a retaining ring and o-ring holding the bracket on? Any help with this is greatly appreciated! See attached pictures.

Replies12
  1. #1Nige2025-11-03 05:50

    Can you provide a machine Serial Number. It makes it easier to locate information.

  2. #2rmcouvi032025-11-03 07:00

    The serial number is 9DL01491

  3. #3Nige2025-11-03 08:39

    See the photo below. Where exactly are the threads located into which the 4 bolts that secure the outer bearing cap engage.? Are the in the hole indicated by the red arrow or in the plate behind it indicated by the blue arrow.?

  4. #4rmcouvi032025-11-03 08:49

    Those 4 bolts thread into the plate where the blue arrow is. The plate where the blue arrow is, is what I'm trying to remove. It has about a 2" round shaft or pipe welded to the back side and goes into the frame. You can move the whole assembly in and out, spin it around but it won't come all the way out.

  5. #5Nige2025-11-03 10:04

    I thought so. So I have a solution for you and it will not require removal of the bracket. This pre-supposes that you are planning on replacing the worn bearing caps (#10 on your illustration) for the trunnion ball on your blade. The fact is that the bearing caps, both the loose one on the outside and the one that is welded to the bracket on the inside, are actually identical. The Part Number is 3G-2569. Buy two of that number and grind the welds off to release the inner one that is welded to the bracket. Assemble everything with the bolts nicely snugged up and then weld the new inner cap to the bracket. No need to battle to remove the bracket. Simples..........

  6. #6rmcouvi032025-11-03 10:24

    Yes sir! I ordered 2 of the caps you listed. I was trying to get the bracket off so I could take just that part to my welder. But If I have too, I'll do what you recommend.

  7. #7Nige2025-11-03 11:10

    TBH if you get the spade end of a big enough bar between the flange of the plate and the C-frame it might just pop off but I imagine what has happened is that the snap ring has rusted and won't spring into the groove like it's supposed to in order to let the shaft of the bracket pop out

  8. #8rmcouvi032025-11-03 11:34

    So how am I supposed to access the snap ring? Grind off the adjacent plate that is welded to the C Frame? Thank you for your time and help with this.

  9. #9Nige2025-11-03 11:40

    Basically you slide the bracket forward as far as it will come then drive a couple of big heavy wedges one in each side of the bracket and beat the living daylights out of them with a 14-pound sledge. Either the snap ring will pop into the groove like it's supposed to, or it will break. Either way the bracket will pop out.

  10. #10rmcouvi032025-11-03 11:43

    Thank you. My plan B was hooking a chain around it and yanking it out with a truck. I'll get it out, thank you.

  11. #11rmcouvi032025-11-03 17:34

    Nige thanks again for you help. For future reference see the attached picture. There is a big retaining ring on the end of the shaft. I was able to get my small camera in a bolt hole.

  12. #12Nige2025-11-04 03:57

    Thanks for the feedback. Back to Plan A in that case and grind the welds off the inner cap and replace it with a new one. I'm guessing that the O-Ring called out in the parts listing is to try to stop water entering the assembly from the trunnion side and seizing everything up.