I have a cat d5g and one of the track’s is going a lot faster than the other I am getting a 255 code 256 code
Hi, When you post, place your machine's serial number as well.
Serial number web 2341 it’s also getting a 244 code and a 262 code
Welcome to the Forums monte1973! Glad to have you. First of all I am no mechanic but I do have a D5G XL bought new in 2004. When was the last time the dozer was calibrated with a Cat laptop? I've had to have mine calibrated a couple of times over it's life when track speed gets out of whack. Also what voltage is the alt putting out? G series dozers are very finicky on voltage, it needs to be around 14.4 volts. If you have a weak battery or alternator it can create all sorts of weird issues FYI. We have much more knowledgeable members that can help diagnose your problems and tell you what those codes are. Good luck!
I talked to a guy at caterpillar today and he told me with the codes I was getting that it was probably the joystick control. Ordered a new one and it should be here tomorrow. He did tell me if i wanted them to check the calibration just to bring it buy and they would do it free of charge while it was on the trailer!
Good deal. Also check your voltage. Ours had a problem slamming in to park and I mean slamming stopped while going full speed - not good. Replaced park brake switch- no good, still did it. Both batteries were good but the alternator was putting out less than 14 volts. Replaced alternator and fixed the problem. G series electrical systems are very particular on keeping 14.4 volts consistent throughout. The voltage drop on ours was telling the computer to kick in the parking brake. If it were me and you take the dozer to Cat to check calibration and it needs to be calibrated I would have them do it while it's there. Over time the G's will get out of sync on the track drive. A fresh calibration can make a huge difference in performance.
The codes you list don't make any sense. Probably a track speed sensor. I've changed dozens. The joysticks usually work or they don't. I doubt it's that. The pump and motor calibrations are usually always fine but the decelerator calibration does get out of whack on them over time. Biggest symptom is having to rev the engine higher than normal before it starts moving.
I had a left track speed sensor go bad on my D5G. Everything would be good and then it would slow down to a crawl. All of a sudden it would go back to normal. Code said left track speed sensor and changed it and worked good after that.