Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar D5m xl problems

truecountry ยท 2015-08-10 20:31

Yes its a d5m xl serial # 6g00432 Problem im having is machine sit 2 years with both Hydraulic and trans pump trashed by a past tech All cylinders have been resealed and valve body resealed for hydraulic pump now after replacing that and new pumps It will only tilt No angle no lift Correct me if im wrong cause before I resealed and checked control valve body out same thing tilt only If it pressure to tilt then also lift and angle should have pressure I have very little with lines cracked Everything was repacked because a tilt cylinder came apart and owner wanted everything drained and metal out of system also I have a alarm going off and cant pull a code I press code check button for 5 secs and get hour meter and rpm Any ideas or hydraulic diagrams ?

Replies58
  1. #1Nige2015-08-11 04:44

    For a Hydraulic Schematic and the System Operation document for the machine drop me a PM with your email address. You need a "Click Box" (aka 4C-8195 Service Tool) to put the dash panel display into Diagnostic Mode (Mode 3) to see the Diagnostic Codes. If you can't get hold of one you can make one. There is a thread here that shows what it looks like and how it is wired internally. If you want an Electrical Schematic showing the location of the Diagnostic Connector let me know. Personally I would get into the Diagnostic Codes first and sort them before proceeding further.

  2. #2truecountry2015-08-11 08:14

    [email protected] . anything you can send me I really appreciate

  3. #3Nige2015-08-11 08:44

    Sorry, forgot to post the link to the thread regarding the Click Box - HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4truecountry2015-08-11 17:45

    Thanks Nige

  5. #5truecountry2015-08-11 19:03

    That clicker box looks confusing to make ....

  6. #6Nige2015-08-12 04:58

    It's not difficult at all. You need 3 switches as follows: - Switch 1 (Mode Switch) - Centre off, 2-position (up & down) on. Switch 2 (Scroll Switch) - single pole spring-loaded off. Switch 3 (Clear Switch) - double pole spring-loaded off. You need to physically locate the Monitor Service Connector on the machine. It's found on Grid B-5 of Page 2 of the Electrical Schematic. It should be a 4-pin (female I think) connector - you need the corresponding 4-pin male connector. It should be only a few $ from a Cat dealer. Note: the wiring diagram for the Click Box on the thread to which I posted a link has a 5-pin connector which can then connect via a secondary harness to any of 3 different types of machine connector. You don't need anything that complicated because you're only working with one machine. Mount the 3 switches in a box or on a plate, anything that lets you hold it comfortably. Then wire it as folllows: - 1. The common wire from all 3 switches goes to pin #4 on the connector which is ground. 2. Connect Switch #1 "out 1" and Switch #3 "out 1" to pin #2 on the connector. 3. Connect Switch #1 "out 2" to pin #3 on the connector. 4. Connect Switch #2 "out" and Switch #3 "out 2" to pin #1 on the connector.

  7. #7truecountry2015-08-12 07:40

    Thanks Nige Ijust got to work decided to try pulling codes with switch on dash and it worked dont ask me why but it did 030 248f02 030 271f06 030 324f06 030 600f04 113 168f04 113 298f02 113 677f08 113 697f05 113 722f03 looks like i got my work cut out

  8. #8Nige2015-08-12 07:44

    Did you happen to notice which ones of the list were Active Codes (SERV CODE light lit)..? Those are the ones that needisorting first. The ones where the SERV CODE light is off were there once but are not active right at this moment.

  9. #9truecountry2015-08-12 07:53

    yes sir 113 298f02

  10. #10Nige2015-08-12 07:54

    Here's what your Diagnostic Codes relate to......... 030 248f02 - Monitor system/Datalink/Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect 030 271f06 - Monitor system/Action Alarm (buzzer)/Current Above Normal 030 324f06 - Monitor system/Action Warning Lamp/Current Above Normal 030 600f04 - Monitor system/Hyd Oil Temp Sensor/Voltage Below Normal 113 168f04 - Transmission Control/System Voltage/Voltage Below Normal 113 298f02 - Transmission Control/Service Brk Pedal Switch/Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect 113 677f08 - Transmission Control/Right Track Strg Lever Pos Sensor/Abnormal Frequency, Pulse Width, or Period 113 697f05 - Transmission Control/Priority Valve Solenoid/Current Below Normal 113 722f03 - Transmission Control/Secondary Brake Solenoid/Voltage Above Normal

  11. #11Nige2015-08-12 07:56

    113 298f02 is the only one where the SERV Code light comes on, correct..?

  12. #12truecountry2015-08-12 07:58

    yes sir

  13. #13Mobiltech2015-08-12 09:01

    Your serial number should start with a 6gn I think. This hydraulic system uses a signal resolver network to signal the pump and to increase pressure when needed. I think you will find the signal resolver in the tilt valve to be leaking causing problems in the lift circuit.

  14. #14truecountry2015-08-12 11:36

    Where would this signal resolver be located

  15. #15Nige2015-08-12 13:23

    There is a primary and a secondary resolver (fancy name for a ball-type shuttle valve) inside each control valve. Below is a sectioned diagram of the tilt control valve on your D5M. The Primary Resolver is the ball in the centre of the upper red circle, the secondary resolver is the ball in the centre of the lower circle.

  16. #16truecountry2015-08-12 20:49

    Nige and mobile Ive had them both out and new orings and plastic rings replaced all had ball bearings on all 3 banks on back of bank same as diagram above listed 20,7,24,19 Now 22 and 23 I cant remember if they had ball bearings on all 3 !! Are these on the inside of banks or where they are sandwiched together or in diagram beside the red circled labeled 1-2 and b ,take the dust cover off is that them 22 23..... I should have all 3 bodies apart and resealed but cat didn't send me half of orings I needed .im pullin control valve back off in am to open it up everything...I hate following behind a half way tech ....all of this was done before I came to work there and its been sitting cause the trans pump he redid broke shaft.....Oh my head aches more now after setting the foot brake switch active code and getting alarm to stop I tried to move dozer and right side track moves and steers and left does nothing like park brake is on .....:beatsme it drove fine forward and backing up that's next I want lift and tilt then ill check why it now cant move

  17. #17truecountry2015-08-12 20:53

    Sorry yes its 6gn00432

  18. #18Nige2015-08-13 04:49

    The ball bearing in the upper shuttle valve is built into #18, so when you pull the valve you won't actually see it (should be able to hear rattling it though). The ball bearing #19 is loose and comes out when remove plug #20. Those 2 shuttle valves are in each and every section of the hydraulic control valve. So whether you have 2, 3, or 4 sections in the control valve each of those sections will have the same 2 shuttle valves in it. If you note the cutaway drawing is marked "Section B-B". That's a section through the small plug with the screwdriver slot in it on the LH side of the diagram just below and to the right of the cover secured by bolts 1 & 2.

  19. #19truecountry2015-08-13 12:16

    I pulled control valve body apart and found two sleeves stuck in and freed them up and resealed banks i went though entire thing bank to bank

  20. #20truecountry2015-08-13 19:01

    Problem with lift and tilt Solvedddddddddddddd Thanks Nige And Mobile Now I get to figure why left track is acting like park brake is on and left steer doesn't work or at least didn't when I started it for first time

  21. #21truecountry2015-08-13 21:01

    yeah I saw the bearings in both ..Thanks Nige

  22. #22Mobiltech2015-08-14 09:55

    Sounds good. To check the brake I would first check brake pressure on the control valve under the floor plates mounted to the front of the transmission case. The brakes are applied when there is zero pressure because they are spring applied. There are four solenoid valves with four test ports. 2 are steering clutch and 2 are brakes.

  23. #23truecountry2015-08-14 10:48

    i looked at caterpiller parts and they list this as park break and one soleniod doesnt click when i turn key on and push park break off i switched magnets and it works still just one so i have a bad magnet ..

  24. #24Nige2015-08-14 14:34

    The coil assembly is available separately under Part Number 133-2249, about $75 from Cat. The complete valve is 133-2250 and about $150.

  25. #25truecountry2015-08-14 15:36

    ok i having power problems....wires gray g731 white 975 and pink g730 white 975 ...both 731 and 730 are hot right when park brake switch is off ..??

  26. #26Nige2015-08-14 16:55

    Pink G730 gets its power from the parking brake switch in the cab, so any time the engine is running and the parking brake switch is in the released position G730 should be live. The secondary brake solenoid wire G731 Grey is slightly different. According to the manual - "When the service brake pedal is pushed to the floor, the service brake switch (end of travel) opens. This connects one of the solenoids for secondary brake valve to the battery". According to what you said earlier you had an Active Diagnostic Code for the service brake pedal switch..? Maybe that needs fixing first.

  27. #27truecountry2015-08-17 10:50

    Yes sir i had a active code for service brake pedal but i found wire loose and no active code now ,..And i see how the coil assembly gets its power one from park switch and other from pedal

  28. #28Nige2015-08-17 11:01

    Are you still having problems with the park/secondary brake..?

  29. #29truecountry2015-08-17 11:31

    yes sir ...

  30. #30Nige2015-08-17 11:58

    There is only one set of solenoid valves (1 park brake & 1 secondary brake) for both tracks. So if one track is moving and the other one isn't then it would appear that the solenoid valve for the parking brake release is working fine otherwise both tracks would be locked. Was it moving back and forward OK on both tracks before you started trying to solve the implement hydraulic problems you had..?

  31. #31truecountry2015-08-17 12:11

    yes sir both tracks moved forward and backwards but no left steer Fixed hydraulic controls and then only right side track worked and steer ..left nothing like brake was holding now nothing moves and no active codes

  32. #32Nige2015-08-17 12:30

    Your first post regarding this machine was that the implement hydraulic & transmission pumps had both been trashed and replaced. Potentially a lot of contamination could have got into systems from this failure. Have you disassembled the Steering & Brake Control Valve located on the LH front side of the bevel gear case to give it a good clean and reseal..?

  33. #33truecountry2015-08-17 12:33

    pulling it as we speak

  34. #34truecountry2015-08-17 20:43

    I have it completely torn down and I see nothing at all wrong, waiting on seals and gasket seals to bolt them back together

  35. #35Nige2015-08-18 03:41

    I was just wondering if something somewhere was stuck open that is allowing oil from the LH brake to pass to tank permanently, leading to the LH brake not releasing. If you can't find anything in the control valve, is it possible to hook something like a Portapower pump up to the LH brake to release it manually and see what happens..? At least that way you will be able to tell if the problem lies in the brake assembly itself or in what controls it.

  36. #36Mobiltech2015-08-18 08:58

    When the brake and steering valves get contaminated you won't see anything wrong just by taking it apart and looking at it. What happens is the magnetic solenoids draw the filings up into the solenoid stem and won't let the internal plunger move. The only way to clean them is to take the stem that the solenoid is on and shoot it full of brake clean and then tap it on a clean rag. You will be surprised what comes out. If you take the stem and shake it you should hear the plunger slapping back and forth. If it's contaminated you won't hear it move.

  37. #37truecountry2015-08-18 21:33

    ... Problem Caterpillar cant find this oring gasket even after I sent pics with ink pen pointing to it and has call tech team above them they said no gasket ring there I say bs

  38. #38truecountry2015-08-18 21:41

    The yellow o rings in pic there are 4 of them and 6 bigger that mates them to housing and they cant find them in parts diagram but nor could I after I sent them pics lol

  39. #39truecountry2015-08-18 21:43

    ok stem and magnetics off I see I can turn stem and take it apart I see a pin ill take pics of everything apart

  40. #40truecountry2015-08-18 22:12

    When and if cat can find o rings what pressures am I looking for .....ports right to left all four

  41. #41Mobiltech2015-08-18 23:17

    I think the seals you are looking for are a 5h4909. There are 2 of them in the valve.

  42. #42Nige2015-08-19 04:01

    Concur on the 5H-4909 - see below. They are Item #12 on the 133-3255 Valve Gp. Also There are 2 x 4F-9097 (Item # 8) and 4 x 4J-7533 (Item # 18). The 4J-7533 are the yellow ones in your photo.

  43. #43truecountry2015-08-19 20:20

    Thanks guys Deadon o rings I got them today local cat dealer had them shame they didn't know it .....Been a busy day 615c broke frame at axle left side and 3 of the 8 studs holding axle to pads pics of that in different thread Hopefully ill get valve body on dozer in the morning and it will work right If not what are pressures should I get idle and etc

  44. #44Nige2015-08-20 02:52

    You have mail ........

  45. #45truecountry2015-08-20 12:26

    thanks i tried to make clicker box ..

  46. #46truecountry2015-08-25 19:59

    Problem fixed damn I feel so stupid I cleaned stems again and got more trash out now it turns and travels forward aand reverse ....Thanks Nige and Mobile

  47. #47Nige2015-08-26 03:22

    Glad to hear you got it fixed. A lot of posters don't bother giving feedback.

  48. #48jrangel782026-07-08 20:26

    Good evening... I have a similar problem with a D5M 5ES; it won't move forward or backward. I've checked the transmission solenoids and they all have part numbers. 244-3114 With a coil resistivity of 12 to 19 ohms...while in the diagram the part number is 118-1336 With its respective resistivity of 8.7 ohms... I don't know what to think; the machine is trying to apply pressure but it neither advances nor reverses.

  49. #49Simon C2026-07-08 22:19

    Was looking at the electric schematic for your unit and there is more than one ground on the computer and of course power to the solenoids and such. Have you checked any of these and there is the park brake switch which it alone has 7 wires coming out of it. First of all is there any active or logged codes to give a person a narrower search as there is a lot of outputs and returns to J1&J2 plugs of the computer associated with the brakes. Did notice that all the solenoids return to J2 plug of the computer Pin#3. No forward or reverse should cause a fault code of some kind? Might be an idea to post the serial number unless you already have and I missed it. Do you have the schematics for these units? Simon C

  50. #50jrangel782026-07-09 07:09

    VI'm going to scan the machine today to check for any errors...the machine prefix is 5ES The ECM's power supply is good, both positive and both negative.Pins 1-6 and 2-5 connector j1la power supply Positive up to the fuse on cable 140 is perfect and ground connections are perfect...I'm going to scan and I'll report the results

  51. #51jrangel782026-07-10 13:36

    SYes...my friend Simon...yes, I have the electrical diagrams for the machine...I scanned the machine with Et COM4 and all 5 solenoids show low voltage and an error in the service brake switch Irregular data

  52. #52Nige2026-07-10 14:22

    That sounds like a wiring harness fault rather than problems with the individual solenoids. Maybe the service brake switch Code requires troubleshooting. If you post up the Code I may have something for it.

  53. #53jrangel782026-07-10 14:26

    Yes Mr. Nige... I checked each and every cable and it's completely original, without any alteration or interruption anywhere... the only thing I found was the same problem as always.The original solenoids for that machine have part number 118-1336...and the ones the machine had were 244-3114 and the coil measurement of each of the solenoids was greater than 19 ohms I don't know if those solenoids have the same resistivity as the 118-1336?

  54. #54jrangel782026-07-10 14:59
  55. #55Nige2026-07-10 15:14

    What is the complete Serial Number of the machine.? There could be some differences in the solenoids depending on the Serial Number. From what I can see 118-1336 updates to 216-5338. 244-3114 solenoid valve appears to be from a D5R tractor, amongst other things.

  56. #56jrangel782026-07-10 15:16

    D5M5ES556

  57. #57Nige2026-07-10 15:54

    So the original solenoid valve for that Serial Number was a 159-0931. This updates to 216-5338. I cannot find a specification for the resistance of the solenoid coil anywhere. Attached is the troubleshooting procedure for the service brake switch. As far as I remember the machine will not move with that particular Code Active.

  58. #58jrangel782026-07-10 16:06

    VERDADEROThat's right, Mr. Nige... It won't move if the switch isn't released.