Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

d8r dozer undercarriage parts

szone91 ยท 2015-08-10 15:35

Hello all, I am new to this forum and seeking some advise regarding d8r dozer undercarriage parts. I am looking at aftermarket brands now since OEMs are too expensive for me $.$ Any suggestions for good aftermarket brands? in quality o price? could you guys also share your experience with those brands? Thanks for your help and have a great day guys

Replies14
  1. #1cyclone772015-08-10 18:47

    First question is how much are you using this Dozer and what for? I assume since it is an 8r that somewhat takes you out of the "hobby" league I have in the past bought one of my machines (D6R) with a new aftermarket undercarriage (ITR) it lasted about 250hrs before pins started to seize, lost the bearing in the rear idler, and whoever installed it welded the master links shut I assume because the metal was too soft and was pulling the bolts out Even though OEM is more expensive I wouldn't give aftermarket a second look especially with an 8R size machine You will be money ahead by spending extra now in my opinion

  2. #2Nige2015-08-11 04:33

    Don't look at your undercarriage in terms of $ cost to purchase and install, instead look at it in terms of cost/hour to operate your machine. It might just surprise you. OEM might look pricy at first glance but generally speaking on a tractor this size OEM gets you far more bang for your buck. On something the size of an 8R I wouldn't even contemplate installing aftermarket undercarriage.

  3. #3grandpa2015-08-11 07:54

    That would be like buying a corvette and running space saving spares on it. I wouldn't consider anything but a Cat bottom on it.

  4. #4bteigrob2015-08-11 15:33

    cyclone77, you hear of that all the time how idlers and rollers seize and totally destroy themselves on that aftermarket stuff.

  5. #5szone912015-08-11 16:12

    Have any specific names for brands? so that I can avoid them?

  6. #6Nige2015-08-11 16:16

    IMHO on a machine that size you should avoid everything except OEM.

  7. #7szone912015-08-11 17:46

    Apparently I can't afford those as of now... any suggestions for at least somewhat good aftermarket brands? much appreciated!

  8. #8bteigrob2015-08-11 17:55

    What exactly are you looking for? Just tracks? or rollers and idlers?

  9. #9szone912015-08-11 18:45

    looking for all undercarriage parts except sprockets!

  10. #10bteigrob2015-08-11 19:01

    Vtrack

  11. #11Nitelite2015-08-11 23:24

    Try Cat Classic parts.

  12. #12chromecat2015-08-12 00:28

    Checkout Affordable Parts at www.equipmentparts.com speak with Abe if he don't have it he can find it for you.

  13. #13JDOFMEMI2015-08-15 01:25

    I understand where you are with not being able to afford what is right, just so long as you understand that by saving some money now, you will be spending money again much sooner with aftermarket parts than with OEM parts. If you are in a situation where you need to complete a job with what you have, sometimes it makes sense to buy what you can, but you will pay a much higher hourly rate for the use you get from the non Cat parts. I have been there, and done that, but it is painful, and even more so when you know better but can't afford to do it right. Good luck to you

  14. #14RonG2015-08-15 04:32

    Have you seen the rebuild by tctractors of the D8 8r on the bostonpowercat com site that was posted a while ago? http://bostonpowercat.com/caterpillar-d8-bulldozer-pictures/ I find taking the time to do it right very interesting as we often did not over the years and this is my redemption maybe before I go to my oven.Ron G