On my father's Caterpillar D6 9U machine it has a reservoir that we filled with oil. The reservoir is for the steering clutch hydraulic control mechanism. The oil will not stay in the reservoir we can see no obvious leaks but the oil is going somewhere. It is nearly impossible to operate the machine without this steering booster. We think the oil is linking out of the pump beneath it but we are not sure. Any thoughts? Can I purchase another pump (2H6659 oil pump group). The shaft does have some in-and-out play and slight movement up and down or can it be repaired? Thanks for any help...
I would say there are cylinders /rams to help activate the steering clutches , and more than likely will be them leaking , or the lines running to them .
The booster pump shaft seal is most likely the leak source with the oil getting into the ring and pinion compartment.
Thank you for your help. We have taken the control mechanism off the machine. There is a slow drip around the gear on the end.
The location of our leak is around that shaft. Is the seal difficult to replace? We already have the control mechanism out. Thank you in advance for your help. I do have a shop service book ordered I hope it gives me good directions..