Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar d6c noise in reverse

keith-50 ยท 2013-05-17 13:43

Just recently bought caterpillar d6c serial # 10k that has a growl high psitch whine under feet area or possibly under seat area only while tractor is moving. Pushed mosquite for about 5 hours the other day with no signs of overheating in engine or torque temp. left side track tensioner will not pump up there fore left side track very loose, wondering if noise could be coming from track. Noise seems to be faster rpm speed like poss pinion bearings,or planet gear in power shift. would greatly appreciate some direction in determining sorce of noise while tractor fluids still inplace. forgot to mention noise only occurs in reverse and tractor has to be moving. started to remove lower trans screen to inspect , but i would to ask for proper steps in order to pinpoint noise, before disabling tractor, thank you

Replies5
  1. #1DPete2013-05-17 17:40

    Put it in reverse, pull both steering clutch levers and apply brakes to keep the machine from moving. See if the noise is still there. This will isolate the finals from the rest of the drive train. Welcome to the forum

  2. #2keith-502013-05-17 19:19

    I forgot to mention I did pull filan drive fill plugs and stick long magnet into bottom caviyt of finals and found no metal at all , also no leaks on eather final drive.

  3. #3Scrub Puller2013-05-17 19:22

    Yair . . . You beat me to it DPete I am not particularly conversant with the D6c but unfortunately for the O/P I seem to remember growls and high pitched whines under the seat were never a litter of pups . . . maybe a bearing on the bevel gear gear shaft? If so pulling the clutches should alter the pitch and tone as the load comes off . . . I'd check for tooth chips in the centre housing. Cheers.

  4. #4DPete2013-05-17 19:30

    If there isn't anything on the back you can take the rear cover off and pry on the bevel gear to see if there is play in the cross shaft bearings. We had a D8H whine in reverse, never got rid of the noise but it didn't seem to hurt anything either. We chalked it up to pinion and bevel gear set up.

  5. #5D8 Ump2013-05-20 16:29

    Hi Kieth-50 I dont think you have anything to worry abought.I ran a D6C 47j series that is the UK equivalent of the 10k and it whined in reverse.I have a D6D now and that is even worse though it gets better when its warm.Unless its just me getting used to it as the day goes on.Both very good tractors! Cheers ump