Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar D6R front crank seal replacement

Slicksta · 2022-08-26 04:20

HI guys, I've just striped the front off the D6R, and i'm at the stage where i obviously have to support the engine under the sump, and remove the front engine support, to replace the front crankshaft seal. Is this the case, will the sump jacked on blocks, handle the weight while i remove that front engine support, and replace the seal ??

Replies13
  1. #1Cmark2022-08-26 05:54

    3306 right? Are you sure you need to remove the support? Although the seal is down in the hole of the front trunnion, I think it can be removed.

  2. #2Slicksta2022-08-26 06:07

    I've replaced our D6D front seal, and had clear access to it, but not with our D6R, the seal is behind the engine support, with only about 1/3 of its diameter visible. This is crazy, having to remove the engine support to replace the front crank seal. Im just wondering if the sump will handle the weight resting on a timber block with the support off.

  3. #3Nige2022-08-26 07:12

    If you want to post a Serial Number you're welcome to the R&I procedure. BTW I have tracked down a procedure to R&I the front crank seal that requires removal of the front support, just don't know if it applies to your S/N but the list of applicable is at the bottom of the article. See attached. Typivcally it makes no mention of how you support the front end of the engine.

  4. #4Slicksta2022-08-26 07:18

    Thanks Nige, its CAT00D6RVLGP00260, I've been trying to buy a service manual here in AUS, but so far no luck.

  5. #5Nige2022-08-26 07:22

    The front seal abvoe procedures applies to your Serial Number. For a Service Manual search for Cat Publication RENR7960. Here's an example on eBay. https://www.ebay.com/p/4004864554 TBH if you can't find a paper version of the manual in Oz your best bet would be to get it on a CD from these guys. These are genuine Cat manuals BTW. https://www.servicemanualpro.com/?page=Products&searchbox=LGP00260

  6. #6Nige2022-08-26 07:24

    Here's the seal install procedure just in case you need it.

  7. #7Slicksta2022-08-26 07:50

    Nige, i have an installation tool arriving here tomorrow, and realised the procedure to insert it, my only wonder is, in the seal "removal procedure", obviously the support has to come off, does it say support the engine, then remove the engine support. meaning all the weight resting on the sump. There are a few videos on the web of the seal installation, but with removed engines.

  8. #8Slicksta2022-08-26 07:55

    Nige i just read your previous comment, nothing about supporting the engine, I'll just go ahead and do it. Thanks for your help.

  9. #9Nige2022-08-26 08:01

    TBH I would say you'll be fine provided that whatever you put in contact with the oil pan needs to be fairly large in area to spread the weight and located as far to the front of the pan as you can get it.

  10. #10Slicksta2022-08-26 08:27

    Yeah the sumps a slight v shape, I measured the front section area and cut some timber tonight 2” thick, my dilemma is we’ve had more rain than ever recorded and the grounds soft. So everything in place and do it quick.

  11. #11ahart2022-08-26 14:06

    Here is the procedure for removing the engine front support.

  12. #12Slicksta2022-08-26 15:57

    Thank you ahart, my wonder is no more.

  13. #13Cmark2022-08-26 16:59

    Ah. D6R series 3. C9 engine, not 3306. That's why it's important to always give your serial number for accurate information.