Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar dealer would rather send out a demo then sell the machine.

Slm1990 ยท 2024-10-11 20:56

Went to buy a new 265 skid and 4 attachments this week. I was told they had 6 on the lot. Got financing approved within one day and now there isn't a machine because they are sending the last one out for a demo. When we first met I told them I had a job that had to be completed by the 21st and I was told there wouldn't be a problem getting the machine this week. I understand I'm a little fish but why not sell a machine instead of sending out for demo.

Replies4
  1. #1Deere500a2024-10-12 15:12

    Cat was famous for taking care of The fleets first money talks

  2. #292U 34062024-10-12 16:26

    You're not wrong, sadly. They don't see future potential. You never know who will end up becoming a big operation one day.

  3. #3CM19952024-10-12 17:25

    Welcome to the Forums Slm! Glad to have you. Well I'm the anomaly I guess since we're a small outfit yet our Cat dealer takes great care of us. Usually I'll demo a machine for a week or two before buying it. I think we had our 2015 279D for several weeks before the salesman called up and said we need to sign. Have a brand new 305 for 2 weeks now and haven't signed the paperwork yet. We've been invoiced and financed by Cat financial but just got the paperwork end of this week. Assuming your dealer is Yancey? Sorry you are going through this.

  4. #4KSSS2024-10-12 17:41

    The only rationale I can think of is that if they can get a bunch of demos out and get signed orders on the machine, that results in more sales. Yes, that means they have to be ordered but If they sell the machines that they planned to use as demos, fewer contractors get the opportunity to run them and maybe buy or order someone elses machine in the time it takes to get them a demo. Get more ***'s in the seat means more sales in the long run. I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.