Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How many fuel filters on Cat 289d

Papalote · 2024-10-11 11:19

Trying to get fuel filter to fill up or prime. Are there any other filters that could be clogged? TAW03183

Replies18
  1. #1Nige2024-10-11 11:50

    How exactly are you doing that.?

  2. #2Papalote2024-10-11 12:20

    Cycling the electric fuel pump with the key

  3. #3Nige2024-10-11 13:24

    Have you looked inside the screen (circled) below the electric priming pump.? If you find any sort of contamination then you would be well advised to blow the fuel line back to the tank with compressed air and also pull the drain plug on the tank to remove any water/sediment, because that's where anything you find in that screen or in the filter all came from in the first place.

  4. #4Papalote2024-10-11 13:41

    I have changed filters recently. Still clean. I’ll try blowing back on the fuel line to the tank. None of this should make the driver alert flash and not do anything when key is turned to start?

  5. #5Papalote2024-10-11 17:05

    One last question. Is the primary fuel filter under the fuel pump supposed to be full or have air space in it? Thanks again

  6. #6B&B2024-10-11 19:20

    On the last 289 I serviced the old fuel filter was full on removal. Any time you pull a fuel filter it is a good idea to dump it into an old pickle jar or iced coffee cup, to see how much debris and or water is in your fuel. Another trick to prime is to use a suction pump on the outlet to pull fuel through the filter itself.

  7. #7Nige2024-10-12 06:46

    It shouldn't do. It is supposed to be full. If it is not full after say 2 key cycles of activating the fuel transfer pump then I would suggest that either there is a leak or a blockage in the fuel suction line, or the electric fuel transfer pump has a problem. There was an update on that pump. What Part Number does your machine have installed.?

  8. #8B&B2024-10-12 14:18

    Diagnosing is like climbing a ladder, figure out the no crank issue and then determine if fuel is still an issue.

  9. #9dzlsnowman2024-11-17 14:25

    I’m having same problem. Just changed both filters and my machine will not self prime.

  10. #10Nige2024-11-17 14:34

    When you turn the key on does the electric transfer pump run.? Have you disassembled the head of the main fuel filter and checked that the passages in it are clear.? Have you tried blowing the fuel line back to the tank with compressed air.?

  11. #11dzlsnowman2024-11-17 14:36

    Yes I can hear the pump but not as loud as normal. Everything is clear but have not blown the line back. TAW09660

  12. #12Nige2024-11-17 14:55

    Have you tired cleaning the filter head out.? It will require the removal of the filter head from the machine, then removal of all the fittings shown in the illustration, one of which (#3) is a check valve that you need to check - pardon the pun.

  13. #13dzlsnowman2024-11-17 15:09

    I have not but will check everything and report back. Thank you.

  14. #14Nige2024-11-17 16:28

    Blow the fuel line out back to the tank while you are at it, and TBH I would strongly recommend that you open up the tank plug underneath and drain the water/sediment from the bottom of the tank. It's probably never ever been done in the life of the machine.

  15. #15dzlsnowman2024-11-17 20:35

    I think I found the problem. Inside the fuel pump, at the bottom of the spring, there’s a rubber retainer and another very tiny spring. Both are damaged.

  16. #16Nige2024-11-18 04:12

    Is there a Part Number on the outside of the pump.? There was an upgrade to it in order to improve reliability, you may have the old-style pump. I still think it will pay you to check the passages in the filter head for debris.

  17. #17dzlsnowman2024-11-26 21:55

    I ended up putting a new pump on it since no internal parts for it are sold, runs like a champ. Yes I cleaned out all the fittings while I was at it, thank you for the advice.

  18. #18Nige2024-11-27 05:02

    The pump is generally the first thing that suffers when sediment from the tank is allowed free rein through the fuel system. Better to do the necessary much earlier, it makes the pump live longer.