I have pulled apart the front axle of a 14g grader. The weight bearing thrust and seal surfaces, between the where the wheel tilt yoke and the steering knuckle meet, in the area you would call the upper ball joint which is actually a pin, it is tore up because of bearing failure. The problem is the parts are hard to find used that don't need this repair and very expensive new. The local cat dealer machine shop said they would have 3 days to repair each piece. Has anyone out there been successful with repairing these parts? how? My SIS needs an update to show me graphics if someone else will post it the axle arrangement is 2g8800.....TIO
Getting your SIS to shows graphics is easy, or at least it ought to be. Go to the main page in SIS-WEB and click on Downloads (it's about halfway down on the LH side). When the page comes up click on "Arbortext Isoview 7.1.msi" to download the new graphics viewer to be used with SIS. It's actually a pretty nifty tool. There are a million and one Serial Number breaks for this front axle so it would be good to know the S/N of your machine. However here's a typical graphic. Where exactly is the wear you're seeing..? Adit: Just found a document SEHS9232 in SIS entitled "Rebuilding Front Axles, Spindle Housing and Lean Bars". It appears to have all the measurements and information you need to get these parts repaired. IMHO the fact that the document exists indicates that the factory consider a repair to be a practical proposition.
Nige, the wear is on either side of #5 washers they no longer exist so it was casting on casting for a few hundred hours. The seal groove is almost not recognizable. I will take a look for that document in the repair, I assume its in sis. But if not ill get it from the dealer. I figured you would pick up the thread I almost sent you a PM but didn't want to bother you. Thanks very much..........TIO
It is in SIS-WEB. Just click on Media Search, enter SEHS9232, and hit "Go".
Nige, nothing is easy it seems, I found media, typed in the doc number then clicked on "retrieve" evidently the dog on the other end isn't awake yet! so finally about the 5th time I entered the doc number and hit my "enter" key went right to it. Thank you very much, I will take this info to the machine shop along with all the new parts and hopefully get everything repaired........TIO
I didn't really read the document in any depth but at a quick scan it appeared to have all the necessary measurements to rebuild your damaged parts.
To me that is a very valid repair. I had my 14G done about 14 years ago, and it is probably due again. It has ran something over 10,000 hours since then. Back then, it was around $7,500 for upper and lower kingpins, wheel lean pins, ball joints, and all bores cleaned and faced with seal groves, plus the center pivot. Basically everything but the wheel bearings, as they are still fine.