Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Caterpillar grader bushog ?????

slagpot ยท 2009-06-17 07:27

Hello folks, Maybe somebody can help with a picture. When I was a kid about six years old in the 70's. I saw a caterpillar grader with a boom arm huge bushog cutter on it. I've never seen this machine again. Would love to see a picture of one again. The grader didn't have a blade just a long boom arm in the center of the machine where the blade should be. I remember watching the cutter in action. This machine ate trees & bush !! Do you have a picture of one ? Slagpot

Replies11
  1. #1CM19952009-06-17 10:55

    Slagpot, I don't have a picture but I know exactly what you are talking about. As a kid in the 70's-early 80's our county highway department had two of these beasts. They would come down our dirt road twice a year or so cutting the trees and brush back. Awsome machine to watch, I always made it a point if I could, to stand in the front yard and watch them go by. If I remember correctly they had counter weights on the left hand side of the machine to counter balance the mower arm. The mower was not a flail or drum type but a heavy duty bush hog with a single blade. I remember a friend of my father's that worked for the county as a motor grader operator back then. He told a few stories of operating one of these machines, mowing the ROW and hitting mailboxes that were not visable due to high grass and brush. He said it was like hitting a styrofoam cooler.

  2. #2Grader4me2009-06-17 13:54

    Its not a Cat but will an AW do?

  3. #3Taylortractornu2009-06-17 17:08

    Slag pot I can get a few pics of an old Cat grader with a mower boom. 1st District maintenance had one up till last year they sold it at an auction for 3500. I started to bid on it but they didnt have the draw bar and and blade. This rig had a combination of a cylinder and a few sheaves and cables to make it work. I enjoyed watching it work when I was a kid. Ive heard the old operators of it say they liked it alot better than the tractors they usen now because of the reach and it was in front of the operator and you didnt have to look directly to the side.

  4. #4Heavyduty2009-06-17 20:09

    See if you can get pictures. All the graders I see have Roanoke cutters on them. I would rather get hit buy a car on that grader than a little tractor.

  5. #5slagpot2009-06-17 20:26

    Yeah that would be great. Its been a long time since seeing one of these machines. slagpot

  6. #6slagpot2009-06-17 20:29

    Small world. I grew up in Sandusky,Ala not far from birmingham. Use to see the macine all the time as a kid. slagpot

  7. #7Grader4me2009-06-17 20:32

    So the one that I posted isn't similar to what you're looking for?

  8. #8slagpot2009-06-17 21:03

    Yeah something like that one. Maybe it just looked friggin huge because I was so little. I remember it being a scary,loud,tree eating monster. At least it looked that way as a kid. But thats a close to what i remember...

  9. #9Taylortractornu2009-06-17 22:01

    This old one had some cables and hydraulics and is huge lol I remember I was doing a backhoe job near that district one saturday when I was 18 and they were in chert ground and the old cable gave out and she slapped the ground and slung gravel and asphault all over. Ive even got to run it. had a huge pump on the crank shaft and the old machine had knucle buster controls for the blade.

  10. #10Grader4me2009-06-18 05:11

    Lol..yes them tree eating monsters can leave quite an inpression on a little kid.

  11. #11Wolfcsm2009-06-18 06:47

    Here is one of the companies that make boom mowers and such: http://www.alamo-industrial.com/# Hal